mtoal

So I shouldn't buy a Swann or a Lorex?

Hi CCTV forum,

I'm after a simple 4 channel DVR system for use as a theft deterrent at my residence, as we have some crappy neighbors. Particularly, I'm wanting to watch the front and back yards for the neighbor's feral children, and other opportunistic punks/vandals. One camera would be mounted inside on the living room as kind of a "nanny cam".

I was considering, for a little under $400 from Amazon:

LH114501C4 - Lorex ECO 4 Channel Security DVR with 4 Indoor/Outdoor Security Cameras

or maybe this, since it was about the same price but rated better:

SWDVK-425504 - Swann Digital Video Recorder with Smartphone Viewing and PRO-550 Cameras

But after reading this forum for a bit I see people really speaking favorably about the Dahua products, and someone just a few minutes ago posted a list of vendors carrying their rebranded products. (thanks Larry!) So there I see their answer to this from "Security Camera King" whom I selected more or less at random from Larry's list.

Complete 4 Channel Elite Mini Economy DVR Security Camera Surveillance System

http://www.securitycameraking.com/complete-4-channel-elite-mini-59022-prd1.html

No HDD, and a little dome cameras instead of the bullet style that Swann and Lorex are selling. Little bit more expensive after adding HDD, but not a showstopper if this is a truly better product.

I don't mind putting in a HDD, unless these recorders are fussy about certain brands (i.e. seagate versus wd).

I also intend to use cat-5 wiring since I am most familiar with it. On ebay they have these "active 4ch balun" units such as this, which I think is what I want since it will give a "cleaner" installation than having 4 wall-warts for each of 4 cameras.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4CH-CCTV-4-CH-Active-Balun-Video-Audio-Power-over-UTP-Cat5-up-to-1200M-BEST-/200813154507?pt=US_Surveillance_Accessories&hash=item2ec16590cb

I'm very familiar with networking so this won't be an issue for me I think, besides I had set up a q-see product for some friends who run a day care facility and got this to work OK.

Do the Dahua systems still require activex/ie for remote viewing via http?

I already have a web server at my residence. Can you change the port for http access?

The Dahuas do require activex if you don't have the client, they make a client for OSX and Linux that work well.

Honestly the Swann or Lorex will be ok as long as they really record in D1, but the Dahuas have a bunch of neat features built in and don't seem like a kids toy.

Cameras is where you really want to spend your money. Forget the Swann or Lorex ones.

I've got an 8 channel Lorex ECO system. I actually don't mind the Lorex cameras under most situations. The IR is bright in the center but the night detail outside of the IR dot is decent. Colours during the day are good, but they sometimes want to stay in night mode if part of the shot is well shaded and it's daytime out. That means the bright parts bleach out and the greens are yellow. I find that the recorded quality doesn't come close to live view quality though, and that's where I have the largest problem. Their compression algorithm seems to fall on its face at the default 7 fps for 8 cameras at D1 resolution. Large blocks are common when viewing at 7fps. Recorded quality improves (especially in complex lighting conditions) when I bump the frame rate of the included 4 cameras closer to 15 fps, but that uses up the bandwidth and turns it into more of a 4 camera system. I'd be happy with it if the recorded quality came close to the live quality but it doesn't. I've got no experience with the Swann system. A friend of mine is quite happy with his QSee DVR.

I Installed Lorex for a friend In NC . She bought an 8 camera system from the xchange for the military. At first i thought it was gonna be cheesy...but I like the setup...was simple. I can log in from NY . Lorex gives you a ddns so you can deal with dynamic internet service. Here are the pics of day and night mode ...

FYI there were no lights on at the house cept the front porch...the back and side yards were completely Dark.

day.jpg.7f874c16d4b2e302e238741d4e5e9e38.jpg

night.jpg.0e01ce1a87f4cae689b9d4369a06e632.jpg

The day colors are surprisingly good, but the nighttime shots are terrible, those LEDs are so concentrated at the center. How long has the system been up and running?

Hey I just wanted to say thanks for the responses here.

Can anyone advise if the "Dahua ESDV-ECONO-4"

is the same unit as "Dahua DVR3104"?

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/dvr3104-3108-3116e--65.html

the fronts look different, but I found a picture of the rear of a dvr3104 and it looks the same from that side.

I figure...

Dahua ESDV-ECONO-4 $129.00

Dahua 650-1 $260.00 (qty 4 @ $65/ea)

WD5000AVDS $ 84.00 (at newegg)

total $473.00 (before shipping)

Other than baluns and cat5 cable, what else would I need?

Anyone ever try the ESCPT650-1 cameras?

Is it the same as Dahua CA-FW480?

And this is in comparison to a complete package system, for $100 less:

Swann Pro 550 425504-S $369.00 (at amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/Swann-SWDVK-425504-4-Channel-Recorder-Smartphone/dp/B004VFGJQ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346977350&sr=1-1&keywords=swann+4+channel

I don't mind spending $100 more if it really is that much better.

Wait a minute...

I had typed some product names from a certain vendor...

and they were replaced with Dahua...

Hmmm....

How long has the system been up and running?

Its been a year now.... took me three days to hide all the wires and run to her bedroom ...did the work alone...

Wait a minute...

I had typed some product names from a certain vendor...

and they were replaced with Dahua...

Hmmm....

Figured out yet if this was, to at least a certain extent, a shill site?

For 100 more, the dahua system is worth it. Do not forget about powering the cameras though, I did not see that on your list.