Sign in to follow this  
gcan

Hard drive upgrade advice please

I have a Speco DRV that has a Seagate ST3160815A 160 GB hard drive and I'm only getting about 4 days recorded....This is at a vacation place so would like to get about 2 weeks if possible.

What hard drive would I get to be a replecement that would get me something like a 1TB of storage?

Thanks in advance

Greg

Make sure you find a drive that is meant for AV recording, WD has the AV-GP series, they go on sale for about $70 for a 2TB drive.

Hi. your on the old IDE drive. the problem you are going to find is they are twice the price of a Sata drive. if you can still find new. i would look for a 500.

and first i would check what the max is for your DVR. but your in the position buy IDE drive or for a little more a new DVR with sata 1tb fitted

OK now I understand?? sorry but what did they say?

since my current HD is 160, I'm sure 500 would be good if that is the recommended size...

can somebody recommend a replacement hard drive? model manf..

now I understand SATA is a plug and IDE is a ribbon

it may make more sense to just purchase a new recorder with the proper size HD

Check Your DVR possibilities first! Check if its Sata or ATA connector.

Then You should consider buying HDD> Seagate or WD would be my choice. Also Id go for CCVT dedicated series.

If You get 4 days for 160GB, then You need 4,25*160 to get 14 days. In short - look for 1TB HDD.

If You DVR requires ATA HDD, it might be a good idea to change it to new one. Not just because HDD is hard to find, but also because the quality of recordings might be questionable. 8ch DVR's nowadays deliver good quality with reasonable price.

Good choice is Seagate SV35

http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/sv35/

Seagate® SV35 Series™ hard drives offer .....of today’s 24×7 video surveillance systems....

1TB-per-disk technology provides cost-effective 1TB, 2TB and 3TB capacities.

MTBF of >1M hours; AFR of <1%; SATA 6Gb/s interface.

Optimized for 24x7 video surveillance systems.

AcuTrac™ technology to enhance reliability even in tough operating environments.

Great find on the seagate. " title="Applause" /> I have not seen those locally, in my neck of the woods, I see the WD GPAV dvr series, though never on sale - but still, they are locally available from a big brick and mortar store. So there's that.......................