Toaster

Replace/upgrade sensor board in camera possible?

Curious why all these web site and ebay sell only the sensor board for cameras? is it possible to replace or upgrade an existing camera with a better sensor board?

200833_1.jpg

I'm just showing this as an example I pulled from images.google.com, but there are thousands of listings like this on ebay, with ccd, effio, 700tvl, etc.... some have cables, some don't, its crazy....... what does someone do with these? As an example, can you upgrade a bullet from 1/4 ccd to 1/3 ccd? or just buy as a replacement to broken equipment? I've also seen empty housings.... so do people "make" camera's too? Buy the board and housing and put them together once received?

THANKS

I just replaced one of those boards in an older Q-See box camera. The camera had been vandalized and the board was smashed. I went to t-mart . com and bought a new board of better resolution. That new board required me to solder it in since there were no cables with it. The connector pinout did not match the original, but hey, it worked and brought a camera back from the dead.

Great news, and congratulations on the repair. I figured that MUST be what people use them for... but I wasn't sure if that board "IS" the camera, sounds like pretty much it is.