echophone

OSD Menu

I have a camera with a mini joystick in the cable and this cable is approx. 6" long. When I mount the camera under the house eave I will not have access to the joystick to activate and adjust the osd. Are special cables made to bring the joystick to the end of the cable that attaches to the recording device? The camera model: GW40WD. Thanks for you assistance.

I have a camera with a mini joystick in the cable and this cable is approx. 6" long. When I mount the camera under the house eave I will not have access to the joystick to activate and adjust the osd. Are special cables made to bring the joystick to the end of the cable that attaches to the recording device? The camera model: GW40WD. Thanks for you assistance.

Doesn't that just suck!? I am in the process of upgrading a couple of my main view cameras between home and work... and one camera I bought that has effio dsp and osd, is a swann and it comes with a special cable that has the rs485 leads and the osd remote is put INSIDE next to the dvr! AWESOME... The other one, which has effio osd and it has that little built in joystick thing... so you have to be outside UP ON THE LADDER to manipulate the osd options to tweak the settings.. BAD DESIGN (IMO). Now, in all fairness once you get it "right" you'll probably never mess with it again unless you move the camera, so ... I guess the idea is once its done, you don't need to fuss with it again... but I personally like the idea of a REMOTE CONTROL for the OSD inside next to the DVR. And you don't HAVE to use the supplied cable, you could easily run a pair (2 wires) for the OSD remote inside and use an existing cctv cable if already run.

And one of my questions about those little joysticks is, one of my camera's has the cabling exposed, and not run INSIDE the wall (that wall its mounted on has NO INSIDES).. so I'm so that joystick isn't meant to get wet either.

The pro's are you'll never loose it, but I think their are more con's than pro's to the built in pig tail joystick. Sorry to rant... that needed to come out

Decided to mount the camera with access to the joystick. I did this by installing the camera to the exterior garage wall and drilling through the wall to route the cables to a junction box that I installed with a cover plate. Then I run cable from the junction box through the attic and back down the wall to the basement, through the basement ceiling and brought up to the utility room where the security DVR recorder and TV are located. Took a bit of work but all working as expected and a perfect view of the target with easy access to the joystick by simply removing the junction box cover.