Toaster

Cut a wire while powered/connected, lost a channel. :(

Accidentally cut through a wire with power, while connected and powered on, now that ch is dead on dvr (qt428, tvt made)

Anybody know if there is any possible repair? Curious?

TIA.

Either replace the fuse in the power supply, or if it's a thermal fuse, try resetting the power supply. If your using a plug in transformer, replace the

transformer. If you cut the power wire, what makes you think the channel is bad on the dvr though?

7 ch work, only the 1 ch that was connected to the wire that cut seems affected. The wire that cut was the one going from the dvr to the camera.

you originally said the wire with power in it. So you cut the wire with video going to the dvr and the power wire for the camera. I'll say it again, did you

fix the power issue? I think your making the mistake that the dvr channel is bad because the camera that you connected to the dvr is not displaying a picture

because it no longer has power since you cut the wire through it while it had power. If you truly believe channel one is fried, did you take the camera in

channel two that is currently displaying a camera and plug it into channel one?

Yeah, I didn't type this properly in the first place... my fault. Let me explain in some detail.

This is an 8 ch dvr. It was up and running with 8 cameras connected. The camera's connect to the DVR using a cable that looks something like this

184085_1.jpg

This is the cable that got cut, That cable has video feed and power feed. So when the cable cut, I meant to explain the cable that carries the video and power from inside, to the camera. The cable actually cut in 2, straight thru... The video died (blacked out) on ch4 of the dvr, while the other 7 ch's still work and display video.

I replaced the cable, and still did not get any video on that particular ch4. I then swapped ch4 and ch5 as a test using the new cable, I got video on ch5 but still not on ch4.. in other words the camera that was on ch4 now with a new cable DOES WORK ON CH5 but no camera works on ch4. So I can say for certain that ch4 of the dvr is damaged in some way, because the camera works, the power supply works, and of course a new cable works.

The DVR is powered using a power brick, and the camera's are powered by 2 power bricks using 2 splitters (4 cameras per brick). Everything works, except CH4 of the DVR, no matter what's connected to CH4 - I never get video on that ch, and that ch was the one that had the cable connected to it when it got cut

I hope that explains my situation, and answers you questions. (yeah, all the power supplies seem to be fine - the damage was to the cable and apparently ch4 of the dvr)

Are there loop outs on the dvr for each channel? Is there a phone number for the manufacturer that you can speak to someone? Are there any other techs

on the board here that have any ideas?

Well, for me it quite obvious. While the cable was cut, tool that did that was a conductor and it made a short circuit between power and video lines. This caused 12V go to motherboard and simply fried IC. To check it simply take video plug form channel that works OK, and connect it to ch4. If there is still no picture, it means the problem is with DVR.