Here are a couple of very short clips from supposed security cam footage in PBS' "GreatPerformances-PaulMcCartneysLiveKisses".

What is noteworthy to me is the quality of the detail. Frankly, this is the kind of low-light quality that I expected in the first place from my Sony SNC-CH260.

Assuming that this is not faux-security cam footage (as in a "real" video cam with the stream set to B/W) can anybody speculate on possible makes/models/prices of equipment used?

standard broadcast/studio cam, processed to b/w and the frame and timeclock added in. probably digital betacam or dv-cam. notice the clock is counting in smpte frames - never ever seen a surveillance cam or recorder do that.

standard broadcast/studio cam, processed to b/w and the frame and timeclock added in. probably digital betacam or dv-cam. notice the clock is counting in smpte frames - never ever seen a surveillance cam or recorder do that.

So... it's faux security-cam, right?

So... it's faux security-cam, right?

isn't that what i just said?

isn't that what i just said?

Mea Culpa: Dumb question in retrospect.

It's just that I was doping out the terminology from context ...

But it begs the same question. Given that it was a 2 mp camera - "Security" or otherwise, how come my $1,200 Sony SNC-CH260 can't deliver that kind of low-light detail?

Or is it something where there is much more light in the outdoor clip than seems from looking at the clip?

There's "low light" and then there is "low light". City scenes are usually much better lit than your suburban backyard. Who knows, maybe they were shooting with a Canon 7D. My point is that you are making a lot of assumptions about that clip.

Among the reasons this type of camera is both better and more expensive is that it uses 3 2/3" CCDs - one for each color - and they're designed for low noise and stable imaging. Throw in an expensive lens with great quality and light transmission, and you've got excellent low light performance.

Now, to handle all this high def data, you need fast data paths, which makes for expensive electronics. The software, especially the compresson algorithms, is also much more finely tuned than on mainstream cameras. Throw in the build quality you'd expect from a $30k camera, and it all adds up, but it's the light path and sensors that are the heart of it.

Among the reasons this type of camera is both better and more expensive is that it uses 3 2/3" CCDs - one for each color - and they're designed for low noise and stable imaging. Throw in an expensive lens with great quality and light transmission, and you've got excellent low light performance.

Now, to handle all this high def data, you need fast data paths, which makes for expensive electronics. The software, especially the compresson algorithms, is also much more finely tuned than on mainstream cameras. Throw in the build quality you'd expect from a $30k camera, and it all adds up, but it's the light path and sensors that are the heart of it.

Thanks!... I think that's what I was trolling for.

Figuring on the 18-month doubling thing, it sounds like consumer-grade stuff might be comparable to that in a few more years.