bingobongo

expert needed pls...

on a recent visit to see my grandchildren in Dubai, I bought a dvr and 4 cameras...duly set it up and it works fine on the monitor!!

My next objective was to connect to the internet via my PC (for my grandkids to see us)...oh dear!!

It came with a software disk and a 'manual' obviously translated from chinese with dreadful results!!

The system

It does not have a brand name ...only called H264

has 4 camera ports

What I have managed so far...

I have managed to open ports 8080, 34567 and when I check them they are open

Duly set up the dvr to use these ports

Pinged the device with successful results

However I cannot see the cameras via a piece of software called CMS...this is what came with it for viewing on PC ( I believe).

I am running win 7 and it has been suggested that this is the problem...software is probably for xp or vista

I am now at a loss knowing what to do next!!

Is there any software that is generic to all dvrs that will at least let me see it on the PC.

I'm not an expert as you can tell...but I try to be a good listener

Please can anyone help this pensioner move forward?

thanks in anticipation of some good advice...ps...ar'nt forums wonderful thingS!!

Do you have a dynamic IP? Also Google windows xp virtual machine. Download and install. It is an XP virtual machine that runs on 7. I often use it as a starting point when software don't work in 7. And you set port forwarding right?

firstly...thankyou for such a quick reply!!

I am now downloading virtual pc from microsoft...it would not let me download the xp version because I only have 'win 7 home premium 6.1'.

will I need to configure virtual pc or does it set itself up automatically?

Should be automatic. I've set it up on 7 home and pro. I also want to be sure you have configured port forwarding correctly. You can get camera images over the LAN?

yes...I went into my router (netgear wnr3500) and set port forwarding for both ports in both udp and tcp and when I ping the dvr it completes successfully.

OKay, and what are you imputing to access the an image remotely? Your public IP? If so, and you are using IE, you may have to enter a colon followed by the port number after entering the IP.

Are you using software or IE to access the DVR? If IE can you access the DVR in IE - if so do you need to enter a port number?

I may have misled you as to how far i have got...my first problem is that I cannot see the cameras on the lan via software...I've not even attempted to try a wan access yet.

When i go into control panel and then network sharing center, I cannot see the dvr on it, although my routers and printer are clearly visible...this is what led to the assumption that it was a 'driver / interpreter' problem...my apologies

Netgrar rutter settings:

http://foscam.us/blog/foscamipcameras/guide-to-port-forwarding-netgear-router/

test if you have open ports :

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

try with this settings settings for IE :

Set up IE 9 in IE 7 mode :

http://superuser.com/questions/321403/how-to-change-browser-mode-in-ie9-permanently

if active-x will not start try this security setting in IE :

http://www.ebax.si/privat-kamere/videonadzorne-kamere-E-ActiveX-Controls.pdf

...thanks for your help and advice Matjaz...

I have tried and checked all of your points...all OK

To reiterate my problem...although everything seems to have installed OK, the app that came with it is "CMS" viewer, and does not see the cameras or dvr.

I have given the app 'run as administrator' priveleges and set compatability mode to vista (via 'right click...properties)

when I check the ports, both are open, when I ping 192.168.1.100 from cmd command, all is OK as well.

The only thing running is MS essentials.

I have connected the dvr via a cat5 cable directly to the router.

cameras are visible on both a standalone monitor connected directly to the dvr and I also have a tv connected, which shows the cameras also.

My objective ultimately is to have access via an ipad or pc via the internet, but have not even tried this yet because I cannot see the DVR on the network map (win 7 home premium) or via the app.

Is there a PC app that is universal to all dvrs...I think that the software that came with the dvr is perhaps xp or vista compatable and also could it be an activex issue?

Does a dvr require a driver?

Please keep the suggestions coming..I'll try anything you may reccomend to resolve this annoying problem

thankyou all

Is there a PC app that is universal to all dvrs...I think that the software that came with the dvr is perhaps xp or vista compatable and also could it be an activex issue?

Does a dvr require a driver?

thankyou all

no, there is no universall app for diffirent dvr ( but normally same model of DVR that goes under different OEM names have same app) , they are client/server applications . App (and ocx) must be compatibile with firmware revision of youre DVR. So even working app cann stop working when you update firmware of dvr.

DVR does not require a driver per se . Some apps require NET framework installed and latest active X library.

Edited by Guest

also try lower graphic accleration (temporarly) if there are some problems with graphical overlay :

Follow these steps:

Right click on the desktop and select select Screen Resolution

On the window that opens up, click on the Advanced Settings link

Select the Troubleshoot tab, then click Change Settings

Move the Hardware acceleration slider towards none to reduce or turn off video hardware acceleration. d. Click OK, and then click Restart Now.

once again Matjaz my thanks for your swift and helpful advice...I've decided to reinstate my win 7...so I'm about to format and start again.

Someone else said that because of other apps I may have installed I may have a conflict somewhere.

I'm retired now, so i do have the time.

But I will certainly follow your advice and tips and let you know how I get on...here's hoping!!

I think 192.168.1.100 might be assigned to something else on your network already and that's why you get a ping back even though it wasn't from your DVR.

on your dvr should be an option 'Automatically get IP' ...check that box, click apply once, then uncheck it once you get the new ip so it'll remain static.

Ping the new IP and should be a reply.

Change the ports you have opened to the new IP in your router.

Type in the new ip address in internet explorer 8 like others have said 'http://ipaddress:http port'

If you are connected from DVR->router->modem...you might need to open the ports in your modem too.

Also for most routers, each port need its own service name...it can't be DVR1= port 1 and port 2...has to be :

dvr 1 = port 1

dvr 2 = port 2

Well that is how you access it locally using Internet explorer i haven't used CMS yet.

Hey Bingo

I'm not a expert, but i think that's the same unit i got and my cd would not, the remote didn't work, the power unit for the cameras didn't work. It's junk, so i sent it back and got my refund, no offense intended, get yourself a better brand.

I am resident In India..and I want Know about if we can connect the cameras over a large distance..For eg. A person sitting in a city and has a branch of its business in a rural area where the internet connectivity is also very less, and he wants to see ' all the details through cameras,that whether his employees is working properly or not '. The distance between these place may be 100 miles or more..

Its a really large project..Need somebody how can help me in this..who can tell me how can this be done and how much it'll cost approximately..

Urgent need help on this..

Waiting for a positive reply..

Regards

Abhineet.

This is in reply to Abhineet Malhotra, though you should have posted this as a separate question.

Yes, its definitely possible if there is some mode by which data packets get transferred. Internet Connectivity is the ideal mode. I do not recommend 3G/GPRS for a location where internet connectivity is also bad. Simply add a booster and use the DVR. All you need to ensure that the DVR is in a location where internet connectivity is good, do not worry about the location where cameras are present.

ahhh the configuration of the CMS on your PC.

ive already configure mine too.. first know your public address if you apply for a public ip address or your static ip address.

type the address on the CMS software, the port you use, the DVR name, the user name and password.

you must use other internet lease network not your internet network because your using your own IP address for viewing when establishing a CMS connection.

upon successfully connect just tabulate the devices under the DVR name of your device and drag each camera activate under the name of your DVR to the blank squarebox to view each camera.

thats all.

im using also h264. dvr HD-SDI and analog

HDMI port.

4TB HDD

Works fine on windows 7, ive already installed CMS on my IPHONE.

VMCS = for the Administrator type software

iCMS = for the Client type software or just to view the whole thing