B767capt

9 Channel 12V power supply?

I turned my 9 channel, 12V power supply off at the master switch and when I turned it back on after working on my DVR, none of the cameras had video. While trouble shooting I used a volt meter on the + and - posts in the box and they show 3v with any of the 8 cameras hooked to the bus bar. Unloaded it shows 12V, meaning nothing wired on the bus. Any load bogs it down. It's 4 years old and have another one coming. Has anyone seen this before? Any fix that I may not know about other than throwing it in the trash can? Thanks

It showed 12V unloaded and just putting 1 camera on it draws it down to 3v. The new one works fine and the old is long gone. Just was wondering if it was a common problem with a simple fix before I tossed it.

I've seen single channels go bad on older PS's. But never fine one day and than every channel at once. But if it's as old as you say, it's believable.

The switching power supply in the metal box can generally be repaired. They are just like the power supplies used in coin operated video arcade game machines. In arcade use, the power supplies have three output voltages, +5v, +12v, and -5v. In a security camera application for 9 cameras the power supply is usually a single output 12vdc @ 5 amps.

In general, the electrolytic capacitors fail most of the time. Replacing them usually gets the power supply going again. There are times where there might be cold solder joints, bad transistors, or bad diodes causing problems.

If you cannot repair the old switching power supply, this new one from Jameco Electronics should work:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?freeText=323599&langId=-1&storeId=10001&productId=323599&search_type=jamecoall&catalogId=10001&ddkey=http:StoreCatalogDrillDownView

Jameco's part number for it is 323599 and it's just $20.95

The Jameco supply is a "Mean Well" brand and it's model # RS-75-12 (12vdc @ 6 amps).