RichTJ99

Geovision IP cameras eating up to much storage space?

Hi,

I have a 30 camera setup with 4tb of drive space. The breakdown is 10 analog cameras & 20 other various flavored geovision IP cameras. I was noticing a cube cam for a 30 second video used 350 megs of space. Within 6 hours I think its used about 600gb of storage & it has not been on all day.

Is there a way for me to turn the quality down? I am a little concerned that at the rate I am using storage that I will have a 2 day DVR.

Thanks,

Rich

check at the camera and make sure you have motion detection you have various frame rate and other quality settings you will have to set frame rate down from max. This should be done at the dvr/nvr for the analog cameras as well. Storage space is always a balancing act as while IP cams give great pictures they do generate large files.

Hey Rich, try lowering the fps and/or raising the compression on the http interface of the cameras if they have that option.

I had to do the same for a recent ftp IP camera server I ran because they ate up so much bandwidth. I believe my AXIS cameras default fps is 30. I set them all for 3-5 fps at the time.

Lower compression = Higher quality, more bandwidth, larger file size

Higher compression = Lower quality, lower bandwidth, lower file size

Depending on what you're watching and your type of camera, it won't make too much of a difference quality-wise to turn down the fps and up the compression.

I have also never had that many cameras on a DVR before. I hope you have a good CPU and plenty of RAM

First of all 4tb for 20 mega pixel wont give you more than 5-6 days even when configured perfectly. Add some hdd they dirt cheap nowadays.

Also make sure your gv cams are set to h264 it should reduce drastically the storage space