ljarrald

preventing ground loops?

my current CCTV setup uses multiple 12V PSUs. the kind used for access control systems with backup batteries. one PSU powers four cameras, i have 10 cameras so that's 3 PSUs for cameras. another PSU powers the DVR, and one other powers the alarm sounders. this means i have 5 PSUs. i would prefer to have only one.

i have a 110AH 12V leisure battery and charger that i would like to use. the charger will be constantly connected to the battery, and all the cameras, alarm devices, microphones, and the DVR will also be connected to the battery via fuses.

BUT. this means that EVERYTHING on the system will share the same PSU (the battery). i am using blauns on every single one of my cameras to transmit video.

will all the cameras sharing one PSU create ground loops? and if so, how can i stop it effecting the video?

Thanks in advance.

If your system is working perfectly, and unless you have a major serious reason to change the whole thing- don't fix what ain't broke. It works against you every time. Leave well enough alone. My 2 cents worth.

if you already have multiple cameras on each power supply, and aren't experiencing any ground loop problems, then you probably won't see any problems with all the cameras connected to a single supply. if they're dual-voltage cameras or have internal voltage regulators, you negate one of the causes of the balun-related ground loop.

I would use a multi output power supply (Altronix) and use the battery for backup.

i unfortunately can't afford that.

If your system is working perfectly, and unless you have a major serious reason to change the whole thing- don't fix what ain't broke. It works against you every time. Leave well enough alone. My 2 cents worth.

its not fully installed yet. at the moment i only have two power supplies powering the cameras already installed.

i would need to buy more to power everything else. but i would rather have one battery that powers everything via a fusebox.

i also already have a battery and charger, so this option would be much cheaper.

if you already have multiple cameras on each power supply, and aren't experiencing any ground loop problems, then you probably won't see any problems with all the cameras connected to a single supply. if they're dual-voltage cameras or have internal voltage regulators, you negate one of the causes of the balun-related ground loop.

i do have ground loops on cameras that currently share PSUs

i have used ground loop isolators to stop it on some of the cameras, will ground loop isolators work if everything is powered from one source?

i do have ground loops on cameras that currently share PSUs

i have used ground loop isolators to stop it on some of the cameras, will ground loop isolators work if everything is powered from one source?

they should. same principle applies.