techwhizard

Dahua NVR3204-P. PoE switch or router?

Hey folks, just wanting to know whether the 4 PoE ports on this model and the 8ch and 16ch model. Are they just a switch or a router built in to the NVR unit?

Hey folks, just wanting to know whether the 4 PoE ports on this model and the 8ch and 16ch model. Are they just a switch or a router built in to the NVR unit?

HI all POE switch built in.

My understanding is that it's a full fledged router and no way to turn the router capabilities off making it not possible to port forward for external access.

Damn. 2 different answers. I hope it's a switch only. @buellwinkle are you 100% positive of this being a router and not a switch? If it's a router, are there options such as 'turn off dhcp' etc so that it does not broadcasts it's own IP range and uses that of of the modem/router it's connected to instead.

Nope, can't turn off DHCP or any of the router functionality. May Tom has a different model that's not being sold anywhere. On the bright side, some day they may add functonality to turn it off and make a switch.

I was watching an official dahua made video regarding this NVR and he casually mentioned it as a switch only. Dahua's own documentation also labels it as a switch. I am going to bite the bullet very soon and will confirm whether or not it is.

So much cheaper for me to buy the PoE version than the non PoE version. Less gear to keep too.

I am new to the CCTV installation business also and have some questions. I am a newbie for NVR and IP camera system although I had already tried to install dvr and analog camera, but I haven’t tried the NVR and IP camera. Currently I ordered Dahua NVR 3204 and IP Camera IPC-HDBW 3300 and IPC-HFW3200C and I need help in setting up and configuring the NVR and IP Camera and also setting up as in wireless bridge mode. I don’t have any idea what Wireless Network Transmission is compatible for the Dahua NVR and IP Cameras that I ordered.

This few days a Window Film Company consulted me that they want to install a IP Camera from their various outlet and they want to view remotely from their main office, which the distance from outlet to main office is 2km. Also they told me that from the outlet they don’t have internet connection but from the main office they have internet connection. I tried to ask the dahua sales but they just told me that the compatible for nvr and ip is switch dlink or tp-link. But they don’t know about the wireless network transmission. Can anyone help me please, or better if you have any video links tutorials how to configure and setup the NVR and IP to wireless bride mode, Thank you and advance.

To ryugatez

Ip cameras are easy to install. The NVR has an auto configuration tool built into the software that allos you to configure the cameras. You can also pre configure them on a laptop. The default IP addreaa is 192.168.1.180. make sure your laptop os in the same range of the camera. Make it 192.168.1.150 etc.

As for the wireless transmission I would use the Ubiquiti product. The Nano station 5 works great. I have one in place that goes 1000' across a warehouse. What you do is install the one unit at the main building and the other on the remote out building. YOU MUST HAVE LINE OF SITE. Once in place you can stream the camera from the remote location back to the main. You can go up to 5 miles line of site with this unit. If you put a switch in and tie it to the nano 5 you could stream up to at least two more cameras back to the main location.

Hope this helps.

My understanding is that it's a full fledged router and no way to turn the router capabilities off making it not possible to port forward for external access.

So you are referring to getting into those cameras (built-in web server) directly that are plugged into the 4 POE ports via WAN or LAN or you cannot view anything over WAN due to not being able to port forward the NVR? Seems that I would want to view my NVR via WAN.

So restated, I can still set up cameras via the NVR but the NVR would prevent me from getting into each camera directly after plugging them into the built-in POE switch?

So the only work-around would be to not purchase this 4 port POE unit and get the regular NVR and just use an external POE switch with the NVR plugged into the same common network switch as the POE switch?

Looks like G4 has listed the new vertical desktop version NVR on their website.

I no longer have the NVR, but I would think that you can use the NVR to view the cameras via the network using PSS. PSS is their CMS software for viewing the cameras and recordings from a PC.

The problem I have with 4 PoE ports on the NVR is I don't want the rats nest of wires by my TV. I put the NVR under the TV where it's connected via the HDMI cable and it was connected to my network via single cable. Just a personal preference. I can move the NVR to any TV and only need a single network connection, with the P version, I would have to move 5 Ethernet connections along with the NVR.

With Dahua POE NVR's the cameras will connect to their own internal network. The cameras (so long as they are compatible - and no not think that Onvif means compatible) aer basically plug and play which makes it, for me, very convenient and easy to setup. You can then access them as any other DVR or NVR through the unit itself.

That being said I did not see this in any other post - If you take a network cable and plug a pc into one of the NVR's POE slots you can access the cameras directly using the ip address the NVR assigns to it.

I have seen issues with NVR's that connect directly to the cameras like this where the "handshake" (for lack of a better term) can but not always change the settings on cameras, particularly with the infrared settings.

If you go to the remote device setup menu in the NVR you can see what the ip address is on each camera and access it through Chrome, Firefox, and IE. With quicktime installed on the pc you can watch the video and Chrome and Firefox do not require the Active X settings changes.