Bob La Londe

LCD Monitor Etching

I did a video job a couple years ago where the customer insisted on buying their own LCD flat screen monitors. I don't recall what brand they used, but they stared to suffer from etchig almost immediately. When I was looking into that I was told almost all LCD monitors will etch fairly quickly when used i that type of application. Usually within days and with some within hours the bright text will start to etch.

I have a little ten inch Sharp LCD I have had for many years that I use for a test monitor and occassionally for part of a loaner system when I have to send a monitor off for repairs. It has always had a great picture and has never shown any signs of etching even when operated on a fixed quad system for over six months.

I have a customer who wants me to loop out and install a flat screen for one of their cameras. Naturally I thought of Sharp.

As I flip through my TV catalog I notice that Sharp seems to have two lines. One is just Sharp and the other is Sharp Aquos. Anybody have any recent experience with either of these for fixed view CCTV applications regarding etching or lack thereof?

I used Soyo on the 2 last jobs and they are still like new.

Are you talking about stand alone or PC based systems?

Rory

The quality wont be very good on an LCD from analogue. Ive seen a $700 17" LCD which had BNC inputs and had a brand new high res Box camera on it, and was very grainy still, and it also claimed 500TVL.

You may want to just use the VGA and leave it in Full screen mode with a user account instead of admin, then they cant switch from full screen without the admin pass, depending on which DVR you use.

Rory

How do you loop out a single analong camera input to a remote VGA monitor?

This is a 16 camera digital video system. The system is in a communications room on a different floor. ALL THEY WANT is a single camera looped out to this other floor several rooms away and a floor lower so they can see that one camera. That is all. There is no room for a CRT or tube type monitor.

What you say doesn't make any sense to me. I should put in something to drive a VGA monitor just so I can convert an analog signal to VGA?

P.S. I appreciate the EXTRA feedback, but all I want is an analog LCD monitor that won't etch. I want one like the little Sharp I use for a test monitor.

I see what you're saying, thought you just wanted it right there by the DVR.

Well then just loop out or split with a T connector, use an amp if you have problems with signal.

The Small 15" Sharps are pretty good quality for LCDs, the monitors ive seen just said Sharp on them.

Generally though the image wont be all that great due to pixelisation since its an LCD and you will be using a composite signal. But once they dont need a perfect image, then it will be okay.

Whats the distance?

Also what you mentioned, "etching", was that on a PC system or using an analogue system?

The etching (or burn in) I experienced was on an analog feed to an 18" cheap generic no name LCD. Somebody posted this about it over in ASA.

I did, and found this on a thread:

Create a white image in Photoshop (or similar) the same

size as your screen. Use it as yiur screen saver and let

it run for as long as possible. I had the same problem,

ran the screen saver for 24 hours and and then rebooted

and the burn-in (Apple call it "ghosting") was gone. I've

seen it recommended that you run the white image as

screensaver for as long as you've had the ghosting problem,

but in my case a week was too long for me to have no computer

access so 24 hours did the trick. The problem hasn't since

re-occured...

This solution was recommended by Apple, it's somewhere in

their knowledge base...

Here's the link:

http://docs.info.apple.com/arti...tml?artnum=88343

Another site desribes it as "retained pixel charge" - apparently it's

not a permanent condition as with monitor or plasma burn-in, it just

requires something to force a change of the charge.

Posted on ASA by Matt Ion