The problem with the S14 at 40 feet is that you are not going to get a ton of detail with that hemispheric lens. If all you need is a good solid over view, that could be a good call. Is it a well lit area?

I need more then a overview, I need details.

Its not well lit at all, I have one halogen light shining on that area but it doesn't give me much brightness even with current analog IR camera.

I would use a D14 with a day and night sensor. They sell a special mount to get both lenses pointed in the exact same direction. I have also found a very good source for POE powered IR lights, and I am just about completed with my distributor stuff to sell them. The company is based in Russia... so it takes a few hours for emails to get back and forth because of the time zone difference and the business hours being so far apart from each other. If you are interested, they have IR stuff that would light that gate up fantastically for about half the cost of the equivalent Raytec gear.

I love the D14, use a lot of them, but consider that you will only get 1.2MP resolution at night and there's some really nice cameras that give you 1080P (2MP) resolution with pretty close to the same low light performance in b&w and built in illuminators. We use the D14's with overview cameras and then seperate close up cameras. Don't know outdoors in a commercial situation where a lens with overview capabilities will also give you good detail. Maybe with Avigilon with their 8,16 & 29 MP sensors, but then the price is much higher.

In your case, consider the ACTi KCM-5611, very good low light peformance (see my review), autofocus and 18X zoom. Don't know %100 if you can, but I think you can set a motion detect zone that triggers an URL command back to the camera to make it zoom in on the action allowing you to get a nice overview at a wider angle then zoom in automatically to capture more detail.

In your case, consider the ACTi KCM-5611, very good low light peformance (see my review), autofocus and 18X zoom.

Thanks for your support, Ive also read your review on it, very nice and detailed.

My questions now is, at the place where I need it I have a geovision 1480 analog card with 10 cctv and ptz cameras along with 3 geo ip bulet cameras, their pretty cool at night too, but no zoom and they tend to break too much.

With the KCM-5611 nvr softwere you wrote that it dosnt take much cpu, so can I install it on the same system using the geo dvr? its a core 2 duo so its not the latest pc.

I had it running on a atom processor based nettop, doesn't get much slower than that and it may have used 10-20% CPU with 6 cameras on it. So I think it will be fine. Just be careful of the ports so you don't have two web servers both listening on port 80.

They actually started talking about the other 15's, the D15 and S15 cameras due out towards the end of the year. The thermal was interesting but Flir had the best thermal imagine display.

They actually started talking about the other 15's, the D15 and S15 cameras due out towards the end of the year. The thermal was interesting but Flir had the best thermal imagine display.

Of course. FLIR has been at the thermal-imaging game far longer than Mobotix.

I have heard that this should happen but with no timeline given. The 5MP has better low light coverage, and I hear that there will also be a bump in processor in order to maintain/improve frame rates. Nothing is final until word comes from Germany but should hopefully happen soon. We were supposed to have a webinar on the new products last week, but was cancelled at the last minute.

I have heard that this should happen but with no timeline given. The 5MP has better low light coverage, and I hear that there will also be a bump in processor in order to maintain/improve frame rates. Nothing is final until word comes from Germany but should hopefully happen soon. We were supposed to have a webinar on the new products last week, but was cancelled at the last minute.

Mobotix really needs a true day/night ICR-equipped camera. Their stuff rocks in pretty much every other way... but having to choose either day OR night (but not both) is a major limitation... dual-imager models notwithstanding.

A dual lenses day/night q24 would be great. Meanwhile, i wonder if it would be possible to corner/pole mount a m15 pointed down so you have the day night feature with hemisphere view of the new 5mp lenses.

The new M15 looks to be almost like an S14 in a housing. The units I saw had 2 sensors attached to a main unit inside the housing, almost like how the s14 works. I think if they took this type of setup and expanded it, it would make for a great platform for a modular security camera. Imagine just buying a Main board, sensors, and then choosing whether you want a dome, fixed mount, pan/ tilt, or custom and all parts can be swapped out.. Sell a customer a 1mp lens with a low cost and upgrade them later on to a 5MP by just swapping out the sensor module.

I like how they're making lenses interchangeable on the M15.

The D15 (dome) will be out sooner and I'm having a difficult time deciding between both.

The dome is good for a corner building or post mount, offering a more view flexibility and a 360 view.

While the M will be easier to mount a IR Illuminator to.

(I have not seen a good way to use a IR illuminators with dome cameras)

Any other D vs. M pros/cons?

I like how they're making lenses interchangeable on the M15.

The D15 (dome) will be out sooner and I'm having a difficult time deciding between both.

The dome is good for a corner building or post mount, offering a more view flexibility and a 360 view.

While the M will be easier to mount a IR Illuminator to.

(I have not seen a good way to use a IR illuminators with dome cameras)

Any other D vs. M pros/cons?

The domes look much better aesthetically. They're much more low-profile. The M-series looks like something that belongs in a prison. You also can't readily determine the FOV of the D-series by looking at the dome, whereas that's easily determined with the M-series, and the camera avoided by a subject. The ability to separately aim the imagers in the D-series is also a huge bonus, and allows one to cover several areas with a single dome.

The M-series has more ability to aim its PIR sensor... where the dome is fairly restricted on the area the PIR will cover.

As for illuminators, I'm a much bigger fan of external IR, separate from the camera by at least a couple of feet. It will keep the bugs/spiders/etc away from your lenses.

The domes look much better aesthetically. They're much more low-profile. The M-series looks like something that belongs in a prison. You also can't readily determine the FOV of the D-series by looking at the dome, whereas that's easily determined with the M-series, and the camera avoided by a subject. The ability to separately aim the imagers in the D-series is also a huge bonus, and allows one to cover several areas with a single dome.

The M-series has more ability to aim its PIR sensor... where the dome is fairly restricted on the area the PIR will cover.

As for illuminators, I'm a much bigger fan of external IR, separate from the camera by at least a couple of feet. It will keep the bugs/spiders/etc away from your lenses.

Good points, much appreciated.

In the above picture, I think the M15 looks is rather small compared to the D14 with the optional wall mount. Perhaps if the D14 was mounted directly to the wall, it wouldn't look so large.

The D14 screams security camera whereas I am not sure many people outside the industry know the "M" is actually a camera.

The Q24 is the most low-profile - and that part I like. But in my head, I have put it more into the interior camera category. For outside use, I find it more a novelty when compared with the M and D which are real high-resolution options with images you can use with longer distances. Maybe if a 5mp Q24 is released, I'd consider one for outdoor use.

It will be good to see just how the M15 does the new 5mp 180 degree fisheye lens.

I don't think a single 5mp 180 degree will look as good as a 3mp 90degree but I am patiently waiting to be proven wrong!

Everyones info is WAY off

Hello Michael

I believe the Q24 successor, Q25 will be launched around the Q3 timeframe, perhaps in the August / September time frame.

From Mobotix themselves.

Hello

Did anyone have a touch with M15? According its manual it looks like it has 5mega sensor but picture resolution is only 3M, for D case it is 6 Mega and frame rate is only 8fps

Besides it has 2,5" sensor, for me its seems like Aptina one and it doesn't look great on other products i've seen with it

We have sold a bunch of the M15 models and it has a very much improved sensor over the M12 in terms of image quality and low light performance. The color sensors are 5MP but Mobotix is limiting recording to 3MP to not overtax the system and degrade performance.