what-da

Help to choose ACTi KCM-5611 or AXIS P3384

Hi guys need your expertise.

I need a low light level camera and

and I was thinking Axis 3384 or ACTi KCM-5611

I have not seen either in person and would be great to here from people that have.

Or has anyone have sample videos or pics.

I just bought a 3364 (non WDR version of the 3384). This is the camera I've been waiting for. The low light ability is close to what I get from my better analog cameras.

Given a choice between Axis and ACT, I will always take Axis.

Depends if you prefer a dome and are willing to give up twice the resolution and some features. Is the P3384 available yet? Would this be a mixed camera situation or all ACTi vs all Axis? I ask because ACTi provides very good NVR software for free and Axis provides good CMS software for free when the P33 writes to a NAS.

If you don't care, then get a box camera, because domes have issues with glare and such against the curved surface of the dome. Also, box cameras tend to have larger lenses making them better in low light. Not having seen the output of their new P33, it's hard to tell which has better image quality. I'll try and get one to review.

Buellwinkle have you had a chance to get your hands on Axis 3384.

Would like to see a comparison to the ACTi KCM-5611

Thanks in advance

One more vote for Axis, I have the 3364 as well, and have to say it has nice low light capabilities and picture quality.

I'm waiting for the LED version of the Axis P33 as it will be revolutionary for Axis who's stayed away from built in LEDs in the past. It should be ready in nov/dec timeframe. For now, I would stick with ACTi because it has the IR built in and double the resolution. Also, ACTi has a low light 1080P dome using the same sensor as the KCM-5611 coming out in the same time frame as the Axis and that would be a fairer comparison and hopefully I will be able to do them side by side.

As for the brands, both make great cameras and not so great cameras, both have good service & support and online resources for self help, both have broad support among 3rd pary NVR and software providers, don't think you can go wrong with either brand. I'm totally neutral on this as I have both brands but not in the same home. Ironically, neigther brand is what I've used in commercial situations and when you want the best, look at the Mobotix D14 DNIGHT, awesome camera, more reliable than anything I've experienced from the other 2 vendors and fantastic low light performance.