rwx

How does router make DVR connection to internet?

When I type in my IP, my browser brings up the log in screen from my security system DVR. How does the router determine that I have a DVR to log into, and which LAN IP to use?

Here is the real question,

Are you typing in your DVR LAN IP from within your own LAN, or are you at some remote location, typing your Public IP Address into your browser and hitting your CCTV system?

If your in your own LAN, typing your DVR's 192.168.x.x IP and Port, then your network doesn't care what is on the other end, as long as your software can talk to it and work it's magic.

Now, if you're external to your lan, and putting your Public IP address into your Browser and port, then maybe your firewall is disabled in the router..

I'm guessing your asking this specific question from within your own LAN.

Yes, my question is when I am off-site. I am not having a problem, I am just trying to understand how the process works.

I assume that when I am out of my LAN, the WAN IP address will connect to the my router, and the router will point to the CCTV system. When I am local and look at my router set-up ("Attached Devices") I see the LAN address and the MAC address.

I would think there would be some indication of the type of device(?)

When I type in my IP, my browser brings up the log in screen from my security system DVR. How does the router determine that I have a DVR to log into, and which LAN IP to use?

1.go to www.dyndns.com

2.Apply for a free dynamic domain name

3.go to menu, then set up, then network, then DDNS, choice

provider dyndns, input the user name, password and domain.

4.connect the DVR with Router, theN go to LAN. set

DVR Http port to 88. default dev port 8607 for Remote

monitoring. mobile port 101 for mobile Remote monitoring.

5.go to router port setting. set up 8607 port ip same as DVR

ip. 101 port ip same as DVR ip. 88 port ip same as DVR ip too.

6.it looks as these.

7.input you dynamic domain name, notice add :88

8.then you can go to here. not need input passward. press

OK. then you can remotely access it. for mobile phone, it is

same. just need download TMeye APP.

You both missed the question.

The question was, how does his router know there is a CCTV box on the other end to talk to? The simple answer to that question is the router could care less what is on the other end, or what is plugged into it. As long as the software on your computer knows how to work with the packets sent by the DVR, all is ok.

It is the same no matter what you plug into it.. Plug in a playstation, xbox, netflix device (boxee, ruku, etc), as long as packets in can talk to packets out, the router just routes the raw traffic.

You both missed the question.

The question was, how does his router know there is a CCTV box on the other end to talk to? The simple answer to that question is the router could care less what is on the other end, or what is plugged into it. As long as the software on your computer knows how to work with the packets sent by the DVR, all is ok.

It is the same no matter what you plug into it.. Plug in a playstation, xbox, netflix device (boxee, ruku, etc), as long as packets in can talk to packets out, the router just routes the raw traffic.

Lol... I guess that's a good answer if you like to treat the router as a black box.

The real answer is ARP. The router or your computer knows there is a box on its local network because it has sent an ARP request.

Good explanation here:

http://www.tildefrugal.net/tech/arp.php

If you still crave more, look up the 7 layer OSI model.

Yes, my question is when I am off-site. I am not having a problem, I am just trying to understand how the process works.

I assume that when I am out of my LAN, the WAN IP address will connect to the my router, and the router will point to the CCTV system. When I am local and look at my router set-up ("Attached Devices") I see the LAN address and the MAC address.

I would think there would be some indication of the type of device(?)

I don't think ARP/DHCP are the crucial parts that OP is asking about. Sure, those need to be done in order for your DVR to be reachable from other machines in your LAN. But they will not allow your DVR to be reachable from any outside browser from across the internet.

I suspect that the DVR has auto-negotiated with your router, via UPNP, to get port 80 forwarded to the DVR.

When this has been automatically set up, browser requests from across the internet to your WAN IP, are forwarded by your router to your DVR.

Your router then acts as a middle man between your DVR and outside browsers.

I don't think ARP/DHCP are the crucial parts that OP is asking about. Sure, those need to be done in order for your DVR to be reachable from other machines in your LAN. But they will not allow your DVR to be reachable from any outside browser from across the internet.

This was the original question:

"How does the router determine that I have a DVR to log into, and which LAN IP to use?"

ARP certainly does determine that. I think the OP didn't know how to ask the question he wanted answered

To answer this question you'll need to understand how a router works, how NAT (Network Address Translation) works and how data packets are routed on local & wide area networks.

Here are a couple of articles to get you started. They are somewhat simplified, but get the point across very well.

How Does a Router Work?

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/technology-explained-how-does-a-router-work/

How does NAT work?

http://ask-leo.com/how_does_nat_work.html

Very basically (and this is really very basic) - you send a request via the Internet to the IP address assigned by your Internet provider to your home router. Your home router will then broadcast the packets on your local home network and listen for a response. When your home router receives a response it will forward that response to the IP address from where the request came - let's say it's an office router where you work. This exchange of data happens until the connection is ended.

Your home router doesn't know that there's a "DVR" on your home network. It knows to route data with a specific port number to a specific IP address on your home network. The router knows this because you told it. When you configured port forwarding in your home router you told the router that (as an example) "any data received over port 80 should be routed to 192.168.1.201" - which is the internal IP address of the DVR (in this example).

The data packets are then received by the DVR which responds and sends data to your home router, which then sends it back to the IP address from where the request originally came - the IP address assigned to your office router. Then the office router sends it to the internal IP address from where the request originally came - which is the IP address assigned to your office computer.

Hope this answers your question. Read the two articles referenced above for a better explanation. Like I said, it's still very basic, but will get the point across.

Assuming your ports are open they then need to be assigned to a network device i.e. your DVR which should have a LAN IP address which is static ( if it changes the port forwarding won't know where to find it) When setting your LAN address for your DVR the router will either have a range for DHCP or will exclude any IP address in it's range that you tell it to.

Of course if the LAN address is DHCP assigned then your CMS software won't know where to find your DVR if you ever power off the DVR or router.

The only problem with free dydns accounts is that you probably have to re register every 30 days, it's a real pain in the ***.

For a few bucks you can do one of two things open an account with NOIP.com or have your ISP provide you with a static public IP address. One other thing, check what your upload speed is, typically I find that for every four cameras I try to have a 1MBPS UPLOAD STREAM as this provides reasonably good fluid motion from a mobile phone and excellent results on a PC with CMS software.

When using a CCTV Netserver UPLOAD speed is critical (almost)

Your CMS will require two accounts one for use with the LAN IP address and one for WWW using your router's public IP