obrien1984

Need more definition in faces

Please see below a screen capture from our building's AVTECH 4 channel security system.

I'm looking for improved quality from our recordings. By quality, I want to see this guy's face as more than a blur.

The camera is mounted about 15' above ground in the foyer of a building. It's fairly dim, even in the daytime -- but not dim enough to activate IR mode in some cameras (see below). Not sure what kind of camera we have... they're at least 10 years old, "bullet" style. They have one BNC lead and one 12V power lead.

I swapped out one of the cameras for a newer Sony IR cameras, but it gave about the same results. I guess there's a brightness threshold for turning on the IR LEDs, and this space didn't meet that threshold.

So, if I wanted more definition in faces from this video system, what are my options? Replace the DVR? Replace the cameras? I've fiddled with the settings on the DVR quite a bit, but that doesn't help.

I'm just trying to get an idea of whether this is a $2000 investment or a $10,000 investment. We have four cameras. Thanks.

121008T125443.jpg.b30c1c90295052ae0eae3bf9fd35d152.jpg

I'd go with new cameras and DVR. In the foyer you may need a WDR (wide dynamic range) camera like the Panasonic super dynamic 3 line up or adjust another newer camera more to the left to avoid the light from the door. A good camera, with out WDR, is CNB VCM 24VF

If you are looking for god budget DVRs look for Dahua - well covered on this forum. I have one and have no complaints

Google WDR or ExDR for cams with wide or extended dynamic range. They handle bright spots but still give detail in the darker areas. Ones with WDR that really work well are fairly expensive though. $500+ most likely. Cheaper is to black out the bright areas such as the light right in front of the camera and/or the door in your picture. Some cameras and dvrs allow this for either privacy or blocking out lights. Drop your camera height too. Hard to get a good face pic looking down at it. With a ballcap on? Forget it. Maybe even add another camera lower and point it where there aren't as many bright spots. That gives you two chances for a better shot. IP cams give better clearer detail as well. I've seen some impressive videos of Acti and Axis WDR/ExDR cams with bright backlighting.

When's the last time you cleaned the lens? It looks like you brought up the brightness at the expense of definition. If you bring up the brightness, you have to bring up the contrast accordingly. You have a tough shot there. The brightness of the door, and the even tougher brightness of the light fixture much closer. I'm guessing the light fixture is skewing the shot more than anything. It's probably making the hallway appear darker from the cameras perspective than it actually is, as well. New gear can help. You have old equipment for sure. But it need not cost a fortune. You need not spend 500 bucks per camera and a fortune on a dvr. Well placed newer cameras will help right off the bat. And a well set dvr will help as well. Even modest gear can get the job done these days. Good luck.

You say newer Sony IR camera... that's like saying a new Toyota, is it a Yaris or a Lexus LFA? IMO even a $100 Effio-E based WDR camera will do much better than the image below.