vandeep

KCM-5611 poor low light performance

I have read all of the positive reviews on the KCM-5611 low light performance and recently bought one. I have set it up aimed at a drive way which is about 40 feet from the camera, and the performance under ir is terrible. Very blocky and noises images. During the day, the picture could not be any better. There is a street light nearby which provides a little ambient light but nothing else. Any ideas on settings to help get a better picture?

I think a snapshot may help. Off the top of my head...do the IRs come on? Is so how is power at the cam when on? How are you powering it? Did you play with the shutter speed at night to see if that makes a difference?

Not that I would be able to help if these questions are answered but, at least, we can get the ball rolling!

I have attached a pic. The camera is using POE as a power source and the IR is on. I have tried various shutter speeds and settings, there may be some type of magic combo of all the settings I could be missing.

kcm5611p1.jpg.86bc00eceaef91ac280b542b5213b05b.jpg

Well, this is just a W.A.G. but I wonder if the camera is positioned too high and the IR does not make a difference. Again, I'm not sure but I bet buellwinkle will be able to weigh in.

Edited by Guest

I'm sure that will help but, to tell you the truth, there is nothing better than motion flood lights. You don't need anything too bright - 75W would be plenty. Installing them would be cheaper as well!

That must be really dark, I have what I would consider low light and in most cases my 5611s will not even go into night mode at all. Then I get blocky images from the camera increasing the gain so far in color mode. When I do get them to go to black and white night mode they look alright for me anyway.

I have 10 of these so far, I am still playing with settings myself.