buellwinkle

Dahua cameras now at Costco

New guy here with a little help/insight....

I ordered two different lenses from DX on Nov 16 and got them Nov 29. I did choose the expedited shipping if that helps. Two things I noticed, the 92 degree lens (3.6mm) had some softness on certain parts of the picture. The 85 degree field of view (3.6mm) looked really good except it cut a tiny portion of the top and bottom left of the picture(as did the other lens). I have ordered one more lens for $3 from a company in Florida to try out before I make a large order to replace on the cameras I have installed on a couple of houses.

On the order from DX, I was given a tracking number that I used at USPS.com that allowed me to follow its progress. Has anyone else got a tracking number?

Couple questions on this Q-See system:

1 - Are you able to zoom in or out with these cameras? (tried the controls but nothing happened)

2 - Is there an audio function on them?

3 - The remote viewing was a pain to setup. I downloaded the "IP CAM VIEWER" app from Google and it worked perfectly. Is this app better than using the DDNS setup from Q-see?

Edited by Guest

New guy here with a little help/insight....

I ordered two different lenses from DX on Nov 16 and got them Nov 29. I did choose the expedited shipping if that helps. Two things I noticed, the 92 degree lens (3.6mm) had some softness on certain parts of the picture. The 85 degree field of view (3.6mm) looked really good except it cut a tiny portion of the top and bottom left of the picture(as did the other lens). I have ordered one more lens for $3 from a company in Florida to try out before I make a large order to replace on the cameras I have installed on a couple of houses.

On the order from DX, I was given a tracking number that I used at USPS.com that allowed me to follow its progress. Has anyone else got a tracking number?

Nope, no tracking number. Hopefully I'll see my package soon...Now that the strike is over!

Couple questions on this Q-See system:

1 - Are you able to zoom in or out with these cameras? (tried the controls but nothing happened)

2 - Is there an audio function on them?

3 - The remote viewing was a pain to setup. I downloaded the "IP CAM VIEWER" app from Google and it worked perfectly. Is this app better than using the DDNS setup from Q-see?

1. You carry the camera closer and further away, that's your zoom in and out. Without you to move the camera, it will not zoom

2. No audio on the camera

Dahua makes cameras that do this really well, just not for $150.

When I use an NVR, I plug it into a TV. Sure, I could have two NVRs and use two HDMI ports but then I can't see all the cameras on one screen. You can use PSS or DSS software to do this, but then you need a PC, negating some of the benefits of an NVR.

good point...

lowpro dont forget to post some picks with your new lenses "if and when" you get them

Here is a shot of the stock 6mm lens(Costco Q-see 4 cam system) vs the 3.6mm lens I purchased from a website out of Florida....(P.S. Yes my house is very messy)

6mm

206994_1.jpg

3.6mm

206994_2.jpg

Here is a shot of the stock 6mm lens(Costco Q-see 4 cam system) vs the 3.6mm lens I purchased from a website out of Florida....(P.S. Yes my house is very messy)

6mm

206994_1.jpg

3.6mm

206994_2.jpg

So with the 3.6mm lens you get a wider field of vision. How hard is it to swap out the lens?

How do you like the Q-See system?

ssuro11...big improvement! care to share where you bought your lenses?? rather purchase in states than have them shipped from china.

The lens was purchased from m12lenses at this link...... http://www.m12lenses.com/3-6mm-F2-1-Board-Lens-p/pt-3621.htm

I noticed some megapixel lenses on this site that fit as well but they were $14 a piece. It also said something about IR on the side and I did not order one(lower F-stop though). I have the Dahua NVR on my house and the Q-SEE navigates almost identical to the Dahua. I am really pleased with the results of this lens in the US vs the DX one(not to mention ordering from stateside).

To replace the lens you need a very small phillips screwdriver and 5/64 allen wrench to open the camera. Have a good live view of the camera and focusing is a breeze. Be sure to take the locking washer off of the old lens and place on the new one to "lock in" the lens.

I'm also getting around to changing out the stock lens. I finally received my DX package after a month. I have to say that the stock lens feels heavier and is made out of metal versus the DX plastic lens. I didn't like the dark corners that I get with the DX lens. I think I would be much happier with the lens that ssuro11 posted. I am feeling a little inclined though to try out the $14 megapixel lens that he talked about. I mean, it does say MEGA on the stock lens.

Took some pictures for reference. This is the $2.70 DX lens.

Stock 6.0mm lens on left.

DX 3.8mm lens on right.

207039_1.jpg

207039_2.jpg

The lens was purchased from m12lenses at this link...... http://www.m12lenses.com/3-6mm-F2-1-Board-Lens-p/pt-3621.htm

I noticed some megapixel lenses on this site that fit as well but they were $14 a piece. It also said something about IR on the side and I did not order one(lower F-stop though). I have the Dahua NVR on my house and the Q-SEE navigates almost identical to the Dahua. I am really pleased with the results of this lens in the US vs the DX one(not to mention ordering from stateside).

To replace the lens you need a very small phillips screwdriver and 5/64 allen wrench to open the camera. Have a good live view of the camera and focusing is a breeze. Be sure to take the locking washer off of the old lens and place on the new one to "lock in" the lens.

I ordered two of the 3.6mm lenses and I also ordered one of the $14 MegaPixel Lens (PT-03618MP 3.6mm F1.8, Mega Pixel). I like the wider shot the 3.6mm gives. The 6mm is good for long distance shots.

I ordered two of the 3.6mm lenses and I also ordered one of the $14 MegaPixel Lens (PT-03618MP 3.6mm F1.8, Mega Pixel). I like the wider shot the 3.6mm gives. The 6mm is good for long distance shots.

When you say ordered, was that just this past weekend and still waiting for them or all ready have them in hand? I'm holding off to see if anyone will post any night time pictures. I also want to try out the megapixel lens.

Found this eBay listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-6mm-MEGA-PIXEL-CCTV-Lens-for-Fixed-Board-Camera-US-/251182951865?pt=US_Surveillance_Accessories&hash=item3a7babadb9

Previously sold for $7.95 with free shipping. Sent them an offer. I'll give them a try.

I ordered them on Sunday and they shipped out today (Monday) and I should have the lenses by Wednesday. I will install them and then post my results.

With the stock Q-See/Dahua bullet cameras, if one is viewing them through a LCD monitor that only RGB/VGA. What quality would it display? 480P?

DX 3.8mm lens on right.

Is the DX lens a 1/3" lens? The opening looks quite a bit smaller than the stock lens. That would explain the dark corners.

Which recording mode is the best quality? 720p, 1.3m or D1?

Can one install other model Dahua cameras on this system? Will they work with the NVR?

1.3mp is the best quality. You'll see that the aspect ratio changes as you select the different settings, try it.

Some other have made mention that yes, you can use other Dahua cameras with this NVR.

I ordered them on Sunday and they shipped out today (Monday) and I should have the lenses by Wednesday. I will install them and then post my results.

With the stock Q-See/Dahua bullet cameras, if one is viewing them through a LCD monitor that only RGB/VGA. What quality would it display? 480P?

Did you get your replacement lens? What's the scoop?

DX 3.8mm lens on right.

Is the DX lens a 1/3" lens? The opening looks quite a bit smaller than the stock lens. That would explain the dark corners.

This one here. http://dx.com/p/3-6mm-fixed-iris-lens-for-webcams-and-security-cctv-cameras-44101

It doesn't specify the size, which usually means 1/4". Generally, if it's 1/3" or more, they specify it, since it's an improvement. Like all specs on bottom-end lenses like these, there are no hard and fast rules.

This one specifies 1/3":

http://dx.com/p/replacement-fixed-iris-lens-for-cctv-camera-3-6mm-45189

It doesn't specify the size, which usually means 1/4". Generally, if it's 1/3" or more, they specify it, since it's an improvement. Like all specs on bottom-end lenses like these, there are no hard and fast rules.

This one specifies 1/3":

http://dx.com/p/replacement-fixed-iris-lens-for-cctv-camera-3-6mm-45189

Someone else, earlier in the thread, mentioned that they had purchased the $2.10 lens. They reported that the focus was a bit soft and that this other $2.70 lens actually looked better with the exception of the dark corners.

But yeah, I agree, didn't see 1/3" specified anywhere either.

Which recording mode is the best quality? 720p, 1.3m or D1?

Can one install other model Dahua cameras on this system? Will they work with the NVR?

1.3mp is the best quality. You'll see that the aspect ratio changes as you select the different settings, try it.

Some other have made mention that yes, you can use other Dahua cameras with this NVR.

Just to clarify a bit, on the Dahua, the quality is the same for all the resolutions, but the field of view and number of pixels changes.

720p is 1280x720 pixels, or 0.92MP (usually just called 1MP). What Dahua calls 1.3MP is 1280x960, or 1.23MP. D1 is 704x480, or 0.34MP.

All of them have the same image quality for a given codec and compression setting, but they show a different field of view. For example, if you're looking at something in the center of the image, it will look the same at 1.3MP or 720p.

The higher resolution just extends what you can see to the right and left of center, while retaining the same basic image quality at the cost of more disk space, higher CPU usage, and higher bandwidth. If you need that extra field of view, you've got it; if not, you can reduce it as you wish.

If anything, the lower resolution images will have higher quality at the same bandwidth settings.