cctvnewbiie

Looking for a quality set up for home use.

I've been reading about cctv setups for the past few days but I am still clueless as what to get. I was initially looking at a setup up from Lorex that comes with 8 cameras that have 90ft night vision, 500gb dvr, and a 21.5 inch touch screen monitor. I think this is the perfect setup because of the touch screen interface such as switching only recording foot traffic on driveway but not background traffic, or alerting when there's movement, recording only if there movement, etc (heres a vid that shows the interface

), but I've been reading on this forum that Lorex is pretty low quality stuff.

I'm looking for a 4-8 camera setup that has quality picture which will show good enough video to identify someone from about 30ft away or show license plates as well (quite a few car break around here and people driving around checking cars at night and our cars have been vandalized before). I also prefer a setup such as the Lorex setup which does not rely on a computer or online storage. So basically I want my setup to have

1 camera facing the driveway which can operate at night and has the quality to identify someone on the driveway or identify license plates from a car parking right in front of my house which would be around 30-40ft out from the camera.

1 camera which can identify a person walking up to the door. Walkway is about 20ft from driveway to front door. Night vision would be plus but the porch light might be enough.

Several other cameras to cover backyard and maybe 1 or 2 for inside the house which can be activated when I leave the house.

Some sort of way to hook up to tv, pc screen, or monitor so whatever is going on can be seen easily

And did I mention quality? Don't want to spend money if the camera is worthless and can't identify who is ringing my door bell or if the dvr recordings are of low quality.

Budget is around 1,500. Might have to compromise the 8 cameras I would like but better to have 3 or 4 awesome cameras than 8 low quality ones.

Thanks

Read the thread and it seems like the set up is ok at best. I'm looking for something a little better. I would want to add cameras such as PZT cameras and I'm not sure how that would go with that costco set up. So from what I understand, there can be a good set up as far as cameras go, but if the dvr is low quality, it will make that whole system low quality?

Your considering a Lorex, but you think an IP megapixel camera with an NVR is ok at best? Which twilight zone are you living in, LOL! If you want 8 quality cameras that are going to get faces and/or license plate and a PTZ or two, than plan on spending more than 1500.00.

I posted that link because even us professional installers love the value of that Qsee kit. Your really getting an unbelievable

value for four IP 1.3 megapixel cameras with IR's, an NVR with built in POE, and a 1tb HDD. If your looking for more cameras

than 4, than go with a Dahau 8 channel with 8 IP cams of your choice.

Read the thread and it seems like the set up is ok at best. I'm looking for something a little better. I would want to add cameras such as PZT cameras and I'm not sure how that would go with that costco set up. So from what I understand, there can be a good set up as far as cameras go, but if the dvr is low quality, it will make that whole system low quality?

Remember, PTZ require's an operator to swing it around and zoom in. Unless someone is at the controls 24/7 it may be difficult to catch wrongdoing when it happens. For your budget it may be better to go with something like a pro line dahua and quality cameras. I use the CNB VBM 24VF and have no complaints for their use at my home. Make sure you run Cat5 so that you can upgrade to IP later. The other option is the Dahua IP cameras - there are some really good reviews on it especially from buellwinkle.

Your considering a Lorex, but you think an IP megapixel camera with an NVR is ok at best? Which twilight zone are you living in, LOL! If you want 8 quality cameras that are going to get faces and/or license plate and a PTZ or two, than plan on spending more than 1500.00.

I posted that link because even us professional installers love the value of that Qsee kit. Your really getting an unbelievable

value for four IP 1.3 megapixel cameras with IR's, an NVR with built in POE, and a 1tb HDD. If your looking for more cameras

than 4, than go with a Dahau 8 channel with 8 IP cams of your choice.

Yeah that why I said I "was initially" thinking of the Lorex but read that it is cheapy so that why I came here for advice. I also said that I'm going to compromise an 8 camera set up for an awesome 3-4 camera set up. Sorry if I came off as a know it all or something because well, I really know nothing about CCTV, I just want the right set up from the get go lol

I think I would prefer a good PTZ camera on my driveway because I could always use it as a regular camera but could zoom in and out to get the sweet spot and use it as a PTZ if needed. I have read quite a few good CNB 24vf reviews on this forum. I was on their website but noticed I couldn't buy directly from them. Any good site suggestions for picking these up?

As far as a dedicated dvr and good software, which can do the same as the Lorex such as set to record only during activity and alerts and such, but without, well getting a Lorex. lol

I have many vids covering many things about my home setup and what I use currently. Check them out. If I were replacing my fixed lens cameras today, I'd be sure they were varifocal and had smart IR, for starters. But it all works very well. The newest video on the dahau ptz- please don't reference where I bought it here in this thread. The retailer can't be mentioned. Maybe some of those vids will help you narrow down what you may need. But understand that your budget, especially including a good ptz, will be closer to 3k. Good luck.