QC444

Cellular Emergency Backup - In Case Interface Lines Are Cut

Does something like this already exist? If not.......

If someone can access your outside, incoming line that carries your DSL or Cable signal to your home, they can effectively cut off network access to your DVR thereby preventing you from receiving any more remote alerts , snapshots or access to live streams.

That means that at the instant the line is severed outside, your DVR is still recording inside but alerts can no longer be sent your phone etc.

I'm trying to devise a working cellular backup system for my DVR that does the following....

........a). Detects loss of network connectivity (most DVR's already do that)

........b). Sends an emergency signal to a cellular backup that will alert me via cellphone of network failure

........c). Possibly transmits a flood of snapshots while possible from the surveillance system to my phone

Anyone done this or know of a way to do this?

If you are concerned about alerts when your property is broken into, a CCTV system is a poor mechanism for that. Most of us have real security systems, with appropriate backups. I'd skip the cellular and ask a neighbor for WIFI access as a backup and fail over to that.

I have used CradlePoint wireless modems in the past. They can be set up as a fall over network and automatically direct traffic to the cellular network if broadband is cut. Easy to design, just buy one and plug in. You may have some outgoing mail server issues by switching networks. But I’m sure this is addressed somewhere. I actually got faster speeds from the Cradlepoint on Sprint LTE and used it as the main network from time to time, but then data rates stopped that once it got to high.

I have used CradlePoint wireless modems in the past. They can be set up as a fall over network and automatically direct traffic to the cellular network if broadband is cut. Easy to design, just buy one and plug in. You may have some outgoing mail server issues by switching networks. But I’m sure this is addressed somewhere. I actually got faster speeds from the Cradlepoint on Sprint LTE and used it as the main network from time to time, but then data rates stopped that once it got to high.

Hi,

I did some searching on this and it may be what I'm looking for.

One thing I don't understand......

I use a cell phone as the Internet provider?

I get the cradlepoint, then connect my existing cell phone to it via USB ?

I use a cell phone as the Internet provider?

I get the cradlepoint, then connect my existing cell phone to it via USB ?

Sort of. You use the cell phone carrier - such as ATT, Verizon, Sprint, etc. They all have wireless USB 3G/4G adapters that can connect to either a PC or the Cradlepoint router.

Talk to your cell service provider - there may be an extra service charge for the data plan.

If you are concerned about alerts when your property is broken into, a CCTV system is a poor mechanism for that. Most of us have real security systems, with appropriate backups. I'd skip the cellular and ask a neighbor for WIFI access as a backup and fail over to that.

A neighbors wifi is an appropriate backup & fail over? Sorry yakky, but I have to completely disagree with you on that one.

It has happened several times to some of my clients that lines on poles were severed before a burglary took place. All businesses/homes served by those lines lost service. At 2AM the phone or cable companies aren't dispatching service trucks right away. It can take days to get service restored. The only fail over would be cellular on the alarm system (or DVR). I wouldn't skip cellular as the fail over. Cellular is the fail over.

It has happened several times to some of my clients that lines on poles were severed before a burglary took place. All businesses/homes served by those lines lost service. At 2AM the phone or cable companies aren't dispatching service trucks right away. It can take days to get service restored. The only fail over would be cellular on the alarm system (or DVR). I wouldn't skip cellular as the fail over. Cellular is the fail over.

And what are u going to do if "bad" guy have cell ph jammer ?

And what are u going to do if "bad" guy have cell ph jammer ?

The same thing I do when the bad guy rips the entire alarm system w/ siren off the wall with a crowbar rendering it completely useless - wait for the phone call from the store owner and hope the bad guy didn't destroy or steal the dvr so there's at least some video evidence. And usually the bad guy is wearing all black, complete with mask & gloves, so an ID is extremely difficult.

This reminds me (and I'm guilty of this too) - I hate when all this stuff is called security. It's not security at all, it just provides a deterrent & makes the bad guy think & prepare. Whether it be an alarm, surveillance, locks, bars, dogs, live guard, etc. There's a way around everything. The whole trick, in my opinion, is to make it as hard as possible for someone to commit a burglary. In the real world for the average person on a budget that's all we can do.

A neighbors wifi is an appropriate backup & fail over? Sorry yakky, but I have to completely disagree with you on that one.

You know, you do make a point, a lot of places still have 3rd world telephone service, stuff still on poles, etc. I still do think its a viable option if you live in an area with buried lines where someone is unlikely to dig up all 4 or 5 of your neighbors lines to make sure your alarm doesn't call anyone. I'm also a huge advocate of tamper alerts on your phone line.

For businesses, a $40/mo backup can be justified, but for homeowners, that ~$500/year buys you additional protection.

Hi fellas,

I think that the average home is most likely to be broken into by novice thugs looking for an easy looting,

Mostly youths who live in the area or drug addicts.

While they may have broken into many houses (or businesses) they probably are not prepared for every scenario nor do most common thieves care to make it difficult on themselves. I have heard of people getting more sophisticated like using Comcast signs on their vans or posing as Lawn Care when actually they are breaking and entering.

So, a little extra measure might go a long way for the majority of burglaries we'd see.

While I agree nothing is burglar proof, the harder you make it, the less likely you are to be targeted.

On my home I have a monitored alarm system that already has a cellular backup so I rely on the camera system as a backup.

I'm also fortunate in that I have a close friend who works 3 minutes from my home and I can call him anytime and he will jump up and go check on my house for me.

Everyone's situation is different.

For me, the ideal situation in this case would be a way to directly connect my cell phone (a spare one) to the DVR so that the DVR could use the cell phone to dial me.

The person who solves that will make some good money imo.

For me, the ideal situation in this case would be a way to directly connect my cell phone (a spare one) to the DVR so that the DVR could use the cell phone to dial me.

The person who solves that will make some good money imo.

I'm not sure anyone is going to solve that anytime soon. Anyone with any sort of technical skill is going to know about a wireless broadband modem and be able to add a second route to their home network, which is what you should do if you want to make this happen over cellular data. Cell based Broadband modems sell for under $100. You can grab a pre-paid SIM and roll for a year for probably under $100 if you do your homework.

I am looking atgoing the push video route where a camera trip directly sends video to the cell phone via the broadband connection. the one thing I think I want to eliminate is the onsite NVR. Either have sd card or video stored offsite. I Don't know how to intergrate the cell backup though perhaps someone has a soulution primary route via the net backup via cell/lte?