CHoffman

Upgrading a Speco DVR HD?

I have a customer who I swapped out their old DVR with a Speco D16LS DVR with a 1TB HD. After the DVR was installed they wanted to change some of the cameras to record continuous, which I told him was a bad idea because it would eat up his storage space rapidly. He insisted and now he has 14 days before it overwrites. He wants to add storage space to it so I contact Speco to find out info on swapping the HD. Which I have done on numerous DVR's. They say only they can do it for a ridiculous charge.... I wish I would have know this before I sold him that unit. This is in a small credit union so being without a DVR is probably going to be a bad idea. I do have an old

Basically has anyone swapped out a HD in a Speco DVR? Or do I need to bite the bullet and send it in. I want to tell him hes SOL but....

I have swapped hard drives in speco dvrs with no issues. I currently have a TL series dvr I upgraded from a 320 to 1TB with no problems. I haven't used a LS one yet but I am sure its pretty close to same.

Remove the old one and put the new one in. It should be that simple. Unless it has more than one slot, than simply add the new one into slot two and the dvr should automatically roll over when the first one is full.

Yep, Installed a Seagate 2 TB HD a month ago and it works fine. Now the issue I have is that 5 days ago the DVR just started rebooting on its own. It'll go a few hours or a day and it will just shut down and reboot by itself. The other day it did it 3 times within a 2 hour period at 12 am when no one was around. I looked through the system log and it has no issues displayed...just restarts and reboots.

Any ideas?

I did that with hopes that would fix it. Upgraded from 1.0.0 to 1.6.1... it then rebooted about 2 hours later. It seems to reboot fine.

Im wondering if its power supply related, could a faulty cord cause this? Or is the addition of the second hard drive using too much power?? Some sort of Speco trick thats why they want you to send it in...then if it fails like this you have to send it in... I wont use another Speco product, their customer service is horrible and rude.

Which speco dvr are you using? If you are not a speco dealer or distributor you wont get much help from them. most of them run off of 12 volts dc so if you have access to desktop type 6amp power supply you could try using it to eliminate the power supply being the culprit. I have an astron RS12 I use for testing.