martop1

IPC-HFW2100 questions for those who have one.

Hi,

I'm looking at getting one or two IPC-HFW2100 for residentional use, primary use for one is to overlook a car and front entrance, at present I have a 600tvl analouge cam looking at the car, I did try an IPS megapixel cam but that never worked out so good because the cars parked on the roadside and the road runs left to right across the camera so night blur was a big issue.

The cars are parked some 10 to 15 yards and the cam is on the second floor of the house, what I need to know before buying the IPC-HFW2100 for front coverage is would the built in IR's do the job or would I need some extra lighting, besides the pir welcome light on the front porch?

I have a picture of the output of an IPS cam I tried at night, its not very good and has focus issues, motion blur with this camera is pretty bad, my analouge cam does a better job but its lacking in detail. I installed some cameras and a blueiris server soon after moving here and having the rear tires sidewalled, a few other cars here got the same treatment too.

I would really welcome any advice on this camera as I know a few of you have them, I have to import from china though as I cant find any on sale in the UK but thats not a problem.

Regards,

Martin.

Cam1.20121025_002841_1.jpg.2a380f4b2a8e5c0183ff24348ccc1a51.jpg

I have one in a setup similar to yours, and it's working well, and is a huge improvement over the analog dome I had there before.

You can set a maximum exposure time to avoid motion blur, but they make you set it in ms, not in the standard 1/30, 1/15 sec type settings. So, if you want a maximum exposure of 1/30 sec, you'd need to set it to 0.03 ms (or whatever the closest setting is - I forget now). I have no idea what they're thinking here - it's like they don't actually use these cameras themselves.

Also, the IR is quite strong, which is good news/bad news. Mine really lights up the dust in the air, so it looks a bit snowy, especially if there's any activity near them. Not a problem, but a bit distracting. It also washes out stuff that's near pretty badly, and is not very smart about choosing its exposure settings.

The final problem is that it's very slow to respond to exposure changes (which makes the washing out from the strong IR even worse). Mine takes 5 seconds or so to adapt to a sudden change in light, and if it's enough light to change it from night to day mode, it takes even longer (some people report a 10-15 second exposure response time). This is mainly a problem if headlights point at the camera sometimes.

Since yours is on the second floor, these problems may not be as bad, and the strong IR may be more of an asset than a liability.

All this stuff can be fixed with software. I'm a bit concerned that they're going to move on to other camera models and stop software development for these while the software's still immature, but that's a risk with many overseas manufacturers. Only time will tell, but the low price and decent performance makes it a reasonable gamble.

Thanks Coolie11,

I followed the link to the thread and found a company in the uk that sells a rebranded version, I didnt care much for buying off alibaba ! That image is very good for a little camera, it covers the range and area I'm looking at and is a vast improvement on what I have now.

Thank you

* That fence in my picture isnt mine..... honest

Take a look at the attached.

Check the following thread for a supplier in your are.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31436

Edited by Guest

MaxIcon,

Thanks for all the information, I think you have covered everything I wanted to know, it seems from your reply and the image Coolie posted I have found a camera that will do what I want, this could be the end of a expensive and time consuming hunt, I'm becoming concened that the cameras are costing more than the vehicle its looking at

The reasons I want this camera is first of all image quality and second the ablilty to alter exposure time, I can alter the exposure on the 600tvl analouge and thats cut out motion blur but the image is pretty poor.

I've read elsewhere that the IR is strong and causes problems with targets close up, as you say that may not be much of a problem, more so as there is some road lighting nearby. 15 seconds or so to adjust from night to day is a bit long and considering the area I am targetting, the action may be over and done with while the camera is finding its feet, this is something I will have to try and deal with.

I know from experiance about companies creating a good product and then moving on to the next great thing, dropping support for the products as they move on, I've been stung by this a few times with mediaplayers and some other exotic gadgets, this was the main reason I moved from a mediaplayer onto a htpc and why I moved from a ready made server to a home built one, sometimes though the firmware becomes open source and has a firm following and sometimes the product is so popular that support is continued by the manufacturer but I dont have to many hopes untill it happens.

From what I have read in the forums here and other reviews and videos, this camera hits the sweet spot between price and preformance, in fact, I never knew these cameras exsisted untill I read about them here, come to think of it, I harldy knew anything about cctv cameras or recorders untill I read these forums.

Thanks again,

Martin

I have one in a setup similar to yours, a.

Thanks Coolie11,

I followed the link to the thread and found a company in the uk that sells a rebranded version, I didnt care much for buying off alibaba ! That image is very good for a little camera, it covers the range and area I'm looking at and is a vast improvement on what I have now.

Thank you

* That fence in my picture isnt mine..... honest

Take a look at the attached.

Check the following thread for a supplier in your are.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31436

Hi Mart,

I'm currently in the same situation to yourself, i'm looking to buy 3 IPC-HFW2100's to look over my house & car.

I'm also in the UK and the only place i can find them are Alibaba, which i'm not 100% keen about ordering from (due to risk & customs charges).

Did you contact adata? Did they have a rebranded version? I asked their Sales on their online help chat and they couldn't tell me if they had them and their website doesn't actually show any IP Cameras?

Cheers,

Pap

Hi Papillon,

I bought mine. Got it this afternoon and am playing with it

I never did fancy buying off alibaba and co, Im not bothered about tax and import duty as its only vat on a camera of that price, if you use dhl you only pay a small handling fee but im digressing.....

The camera listed on the site is branded as Qvis, mine wasnt, its a genuine version:

Device Type

IPC-HFW2100

Software Version

2.100.0000.8.R, build : 2012-05-23

WEB Version 3.0.0.0

There is nothing much on any uk site for this camera so I hunted around, found out here that Adata stock them but wasnt sure if they sold to non business, than a found the site I ordered from and was surprised to see the parcel listed Adata as its sent from address, Anyway before I ordered I called ukcctvsystems and spoke a chap there who was increably helpfull thne I paid up and got the camera to day., so far I have it hanging out of a window on a bracket while I tinker with the settings but the image from it is as good as those you see in reviews, its solid built too, no flimsy tin can stuff !

NOTE to admin: im not sure what the policy is for posting links but in this case given the scarcity of the items mentioned I thought it was justified

--

Martin

Hi Papillon,

I never did fancy buying off alibaba and co, Im not bothered about tax and import duty as its only vat on a camera of that price, if you use dhl you only pay a small handling fee but im digressing.....

The camera listed on the site is branded as Qvis, mine wasnt, its a genuine version:

Device Type

IPC-HFW2100

Software Version

WEB Version 3.0.0.0

There is nothing much on any uk site for this camera so I hunted around, found out here that Adata stock them but wasnt sure if they sold to non business, than a found the site I ordered from and was surprised to see the parcel listed Adata as its sent from address, Anyway before I ordered I called ukcctvsystems and spoke a chap there who was increably helpfull thne I paid up and got the camera to day., so far I have it hanging out of a window on a bracket while I tinker with the settings but the image from it is as good as those you see in reviews, its solid built too, no flimsy tin can stuff !

NOTE to admin: im not sure what the policy is for posting links but in this case given the scarcity of the items mentioned I thought it was justified

--

Martin

Hi Martin,

I bought one from ukcctvsystems

The picture etc is great, much better than the webcam i was using previously.

I have a problem though, the camera reboots every 30 mins, at 42 seconds past the hour and 30 mins 42 seconds past the hour (eg, 15:00:42 & 15:30:42)

I wonder if there is a problem with it?

Cheers,

Pap

There is a setting in the web interface to set it to reboot. Have you checked that ?

Hi Papillon,

Device Type

IPC-HFW2100

Software Version

WEB Version 3.0.0.0

--

Martin

Hi Martin,

I bought one from ukcctvsystems

The picture etc is great, much better than the webcam i was using previously.

I have a problem though, the camera reboots every 30 mins, at 42 seconds past the hour and 30 mins 42 seconds past the hour (eg, 15:00:42 & 15:30:42)

I wonder if there is a problem with it?

Cheers,

Pap

My Dahua branded cam came with the daily reboot enabled by default, which I didn't notice until I saw it losing network comms every day at 3 am. You might want to check that and disable it; there could be a bug in the timing code for yours.

What are you using to view/record? Mine went through a phase of briefly losing video every 90 seconds, but it was because my Blue Iris setup wasn't right for it. Can't quite remember the details; and will have to check my notes.

Are you sure its actualy rebooting and not dropping network connection, I know you may think this daft to ask but mine threw a fit every 45 minutes because in the network settings page the default setting for the gateway was 00.00.00.00, I changed mine to the routers address and it stopped dropping out, I actualy thought it was rebooting but the log page showed only the start up and the 2am preset reboot.

Im pretty impressed with this little camera though Im struggling with the day/ night feature, the target area is lit by a road light so the camera cycles through day/ night mode, I fixed that by using a set schedule for the changeover and because of the target being across the camera I set the shutter speed to a range of 1 and 25ms, this gives a pretty good daytime image and traffic recordings give a better image without much motion blur. I havent set mine up on its siting yet because I'm testing different sites to get the best angle I can as I like to squeeze the most out of my cams.

As its the 5th I also set up a cheap cam under my porch, I was right in thinking my fences would be targets and they where, luckily my nieghbour caught the little boogers and I got my fences back and I als got some decent footage, the dahua caught the thieves aproaching and the porch cam caught them face on, defeating the hoods and hats, allowing a more acurate description to be passed on to the patrols, now im going for another dahau to replace the cheapo cam I used tonight.

The blueiris setting mentioned is the dahau string I beleive its called, I had to change mine from :

channel=1&subtype=0&authbasic={AUTH64} (default for "Dahua DVR H.264 RTSP")

to:

channel=1&subtype=0

I found this tweak in the BI forums and it sorted out the drop out every 90 seconds or so I was having.

I've checked the web page and i had already had it set up to reboot once a day at 09:30 (when there should be no illicit activity!)

Same as Martin's, my firmware version etc are below.

Device Type - IPC-HFW2100

Software Version - 2.100.0000.8.R, build : 2012-05-23

WEB Version - 3.0.0.0

I'm using PSS (which came with the camera) to view.

I'm pretty sure the camera is rebooting as it's not contactable on any of its ports, also i have it set up to record on motion detect. It records about 20 seconds after it has started back up (as the image is adjusting to the light)

I think i may need a firmware upgrade but i believe they're difficult to get?

PM me your email and I'll get it to you. The latest version is 2.100.0000.9R

I've checked the web page and i had already had it set up to reboot once a day at 09:30 (when there should be no illicit activity!)

Same as Martin's, my firmware version etc are below.

Device Type - IPC-HFW2100

Software Version - 2.100.0000.8.R, build : 2012-05-23

WEB Version - 3.0.0.0

I'm using PSS (which came with the camera) to view.

I'm pretty sure the camera is rebooting as it's not contactable on any of its ports, also i have it set up to record on motion detect. It records about 20 seconds after it has started back up (as the image is adjusting to the light)

I think i may need a firmware upgrade but i believe they're difficult to get?

Be aware there are two versions for this cameras firmware, one for PAL (uk) and one for NSTC ( us )

The firmware seems to be only issued by the supplier on request, partly to prevent bricking cameras and partly to keep support inside a closed loop for support reasons. I cant comment on what the newer firmware does or doesnt do as I have not needed to upgrade and wont unless it fixes something important.

Pap, what psower supply are you using with the camera ? a decent 12 volt at 1.5 amp minimum should work fine, anything less than 12 volts and it can cause problems. IF you have set the network setting I mentioned to your routers address and IF your power supply is sufficient and it still reboots, chec kthe logs page, rebooting will show up, if so call the supplier and ask for advice, the guy I spoke to was pretty helpful.

These cameras are pretty well made but its possible a few duds sneak past QT.

Be aware there are two versions for this cameras firmware, one for PAL (uk) and one for NSTC ( us )

The firmware seems to be only issued by the supplier on request, partly to prevent bricking cameras and partly to keep support inside a closed loop for support reasons. I cant comment on what the newer firmware does or doesnt do as I have not needed to upgrade and wont unless it fixes something important.

Pap, what psower supply are you using with the camera ? a decent 12 volt at 1.5 amp minimum should work fine, anything less than 12 volts and it can cause problems. IF you have set the network setting I mentioned to your routers address and IF your power supply is sufficient and it still reboots, chec kthe logs page, rebooting will show up, if so call the supplier and ask for advice, the guy I spoke to was pretty helpful.

These cameras are pretty well made but its possible a few duds sneak past QT.

I have an 8 way PoE switch, with just the 1 camera plugged in so it shouldn't be a problem with the power supply?

I've checked network settings and everything looks right.

Logs as below...

No.	User Name	Time			Type	Content
1	System	2012-11-06 21:35:18	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
2	System	2012-11-06 21:35:17	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 21:33:43"}
3	System	2012-11-06 21:05:17	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
4	System	2012-11-06 21:05:15	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 21:03:43"}
5	System	2012-11-06 20:35:18	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
6	System	2012-11-06 20:35:17	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 20:33:43"}
7	System	2012-11-06 20:05:18	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
8	System	2012-11-06 20:05:17	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 20:03:43"}
9	System	2012-11-06 19:38:00	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
10	System	2012-11-06 19:37:59	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 19:36:42"}
11	System	2012-11-06 18:02:21	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
12	System	2012-11-06 18:02:20	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 18:00:46"}
13	System	2012-11-06 17:39:53	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Exit"}
14	System	2012-11-06 17:32:19	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
15	System	2012-11-06 17:32:18	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 17:30:46"}
16	System	2012-11-06 17:02:20	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
17	System	2012-11-06 17:02:19	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 17:00:46"}
18	System	2012-11-06 16:32:18	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
19	System	2012-11-06 16:32:17	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 16:30:46"}
20	System	2012-11-06 16:02:19	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
21	System	2012-11-06 16:02:19	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 16:00:46"}
22	System	2012-11-06 15:32:17	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
23	System	2012-11-06 15:32:17	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 15:30:46"}
24	System	2012-11-06 15:02:18	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
25	System	2012-11-06 15:02:18	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 15:00:45"}
26	System	2012-11-06 14:32:19	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
27	System	2012-11-06 14:32:19	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 14:30:45"}
28	System	2012-11-06 14:02:18	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
29	System	2012-11-06 14:02:18	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 14:00:45"}
30	System	2012-11-06 13:32:17	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
31	System	2012-11-06 13:32:16	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 13:30:45"}
32	System	2012-11-06 13:02:18	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
33	System	2012-11-06 13:02:18	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 13:00:45"}
34	System	2012-11-06 12:32:17	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
35	System	2012-11-06 12:32:17	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 12:30:45"}
36	System	2012-11-06 12:02:18	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
37	System	2012-11-06 12:02:18	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 12:00:45"}
38	System	2012-11-06 11:32:17	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
39	System	2012-11-06 11:32:17	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 11:30:45"}
40	System	2012-11-06 11:02:16	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
41	System	2012-11-06 11:02:16	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 11:00:45"}
42	System	2012-11-06 10:32:18	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
43	System	2012-11-06 10:32:18	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 10:30:44"}
44	System	2012-11-06 10:02:16	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
45	System	2012-11-06 10:02:16	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 10:00:45"}
46	System	2012-11-06 09:31:12	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Exit"}
47	System	2012-11-06 09:30:02	Reboot	null
48	System	2012-11-06 09:02:18	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
49	System	2012-11-06 09:02:18	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 09:00:45"}
50	System	2012-11-06 08:32:15	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
51	System	2012-11-06 08:32:15	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 08:30:44"}
52	System	2012-11-06 08:02:17	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
53	System	2012-11-06 08:02:16	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 08:00:44"}
54	System	2012-11-06 07:32:16	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
55	System	2012-11-06 07:32:16	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 07:30:44"}
56	System	2012-11-06 07:02:18	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
57	System	2012-11-06 07:02:17	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 07:00:44"}
58	System	2012-11-06 06:32:17	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
59	System	2012-11-06 06:32:16	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 06:30:44"}
60	System	2012-11-06 06:02:16	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
61	System	2012-11-06 06:02:15	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 06:00:44"}
62	System	2012-11-06 05:32:17	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
63	System	2012-11-06 05:32:16	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 05:30:44"}
64	System	2012-11-06 05:02:15	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
65	System	2012-11-06 05:02:15	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 05:00:44"}
66	System	2012-11-06 04:32:16	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
67	System	2012-11-06 04:32:16	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 04:30:44"}
68	System	2012-11-06 04:02:15	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
69	System	2012-11-06 04:02:14	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 04:00:43"}
70	System	2012-11-06 03:32:15	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
71	System	2012-11-06 03:32:15	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 03:30:43"}
72	System	2012-11-06 03:02:14	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
73	System	2012-11-06 03:02:14	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 03:00:44"}
74	System	2012-11-06 02:32:16	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
75	System	2012-11-06 02:32:16	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 02:30:43"}
76	System	2012-11-06 02:02:16	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
77	System	2012-11-06 02:02:15	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 02:00:43"}
78	System	2012-11-06 01:32:17	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
79	System	2012-11-06 01:32:16	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 01:30:43"}
80	System	2012-11-06 01:02:16	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
81	System	2012-11-06 01:02:15	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 01:00:43"}
82	System	2012-11-06 00:32:15	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
83	System	2012-11-06 00:32:15	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 00:30:43"}
84	System	2012-11-06 00:02:15	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
85	System	2012-11-06 00:02:14	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-06 00:00:43"}
86	System	2012-11-05 23:32:15	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
87	System	2012-11-05 23:32:14	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-05 23:30:43"}
88	System	2012-11-05 23:02:17	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
89	System	2012-11-05 23:02:16	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-05 23:00:43"}
90	System	2012-11-05 22:32:16	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
91	System	2012-11-05 22:32:16	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-05 22:30:42"}
92	System	2012-11-05 22:02:14	Start up	{"Reboot Mark":"Abort"}
93	System	2012-11-05 22:02:13	Abort	{"Time":"2012-11-05 22:00:43"}

I've tried resetting to factory settings but not yet tried the reset button on the camera itself.

I'm losing 4 minutes of footage an hour which isn't good

Pap,

Those logs dont look so good, the camera is rebooting isnt it, if you have a different power supply rated at 12 volts and about 1.5 amps give it a try, just to clear the poe supply from the cause of this and if the camera does the rebooting its time to exchange it. if it is the camera then this is the second faulty one ive come acoss as I have found another owner with a dud one in the UK yesterday

The reset button needs to held down for a few seconds as it has a delay on it to prevent accidental pressing, it should reboot and load up the factory default settings.

I know its a PITA to mess with powerr supply and tests but if changing the power supply for a test fixes this then it saves the trouble of exchanging it

Pap,

Those logs dont look so good, the camera is rebooting isnt it, if you have a different power supply rated at 12 volts and about 1.5 amps give it a try, just to clear the poe supply from the cause of this and if the camera does the rebooting its time to exchange it. if it is the camera then this is the second faulty one ive come acoss as I have found another owner with a dud one in the UK yesterday

The reset button needs to held down for a few seconds as it has a delay on it to prevent accidental pressing, it should reboot and load up the factory default settings.

I know its a PITA to mess with powerr supply and tests but if changing the power supply for a test fixes this then it saves the trouble of exchanging it

I've tried hard reset on the camera and it's still the same

I've dropped the supplier an email this afternoon but not heard anything back as of yet. I don't have a separate power supply at the moment as i was planning on using my PoE switch (Netgear GS108P).

I'm going to have to buy a separate power supply to temporarily test it .

Forget email, call them on the number on the website, dont get into a testing phase with them otherwise they will have you doing thier work for them ... have you tried this and that, what make is this and that, what output specs is this and that, you will be there for a week and got nowhere.

If it doenst work with a poe supply then its probably not going to work with a stand alone supply as I found out with one of my cameras.

I have IPC-HFW2100 - NTSC .

Can I use PAL firmware ?

I bought camera from alibaba and they send me NTSC version ...

Can I use PAL firmware ?

have dealer send you firmware, it will work.

my dealer sent me 6 PAL cameras, but they flashed them with NTSC firmware before shipping. Works perfect.

Can I use PAL firmware ?

I have the pal version firmware but also had one with ntsc, both worked, but yeah, its the same electronics in both, just the firmware that is different so changing it should be easy if you can get the pal firmware.