Sign in to follow this  
richuk123

Acti NVR 3.0 recording advice required

Hello,

I have been lurking for a few weeks sponging up information from lots of helpful people here. Have had some experience before of installing analogue DVRs and cameras. I am now wanting to install about 15 IP cams around my premises, both indoors and outside. In my previous experience I have come to the conclusion that an easy to navigate and use recording system is nearly parallel in importance to the picture quality. On this basis I have decided to "test drive" Acti's NVR 3.0 as the reviews I have read are all positive. Have downloaded it and purchased 1 x TCM-3511 camera to try it all out. Pleased with the camera, although as others have found its a little annoying how the attaching of the dome cover moves the cam, but its not a deal breaker. My problem is this. NVR 3.0 found the camera straight away and I get a good live view picture. However I can't seem to get the system to record at all? Have set up motion detection. I have tried both continuous record and event record, but no luck. I have also stated which drive should be used. My only theory is that because I'm using quite an old PC as a test bed, it is below the spec stated by acti, could that prevent it recording?? I was assuming that it would work ok with one camera, but grind to a halt when adding more.

Thanks for any advice

Thanks for the advice. I have however confirmed - in my mind, at least - that is is a hardware issue. I downloaded NVR 3.0 onto my laptop which is much higher spec and all ran and recorded immediately as it should do. I was intending on buying new pc for nvr use anyway, so no problem there. I do like the Acti software. Very easy to use. Will be in the market for some KCM-5611 cams now.

Just curious as to what the desktop processor was that you first tried and it didn't work?

It is a Pentium 4, 3.40GHz, 1GB RAM. Running XP service pack 3. Maybe the relatively low amount of RAM is a consideration?

Or maybe I still got a setting wrong - however the fact that it all ran and recorded instantly on my Laptop suggests otherwise. Could be a Microsoft update missing - guess I'll never know as can't be bothered to waste any more time finding out. New build PC on order now with 3TB hard drive - sounds huge to me, but case of guestimating and building in some expansion capability.

Or maybe I still got a setting wrong - however the fact that it all ran and recorded instantly on my Laptop suggests otherwise. Could be a Microsoft update missing - guess I'll never know as can't be bothered to waste any more time finding out. New build PC on order now with 3TB hard drive - sounds huge to me, but case of guestimating and building in some expansion capability.

I noticed on the acti nvr 3.0 datasheet on acti's website, it states the system requirement for 1-16 cameras is an intel core 2 quad 2.4Ghz with 4 Gigs of ram so maybe that's why it doesn't work on your older computer.

TBH I knew the test bed PC was below spec, but thought it would run 1 cam ok. No worries as sorted out new pc now. Arriving tomorrow.