Sign in to follow this  
Peter_

Axis P3364-VE Review

Hello everyone! Wrote up a review, with plenty of day/night photo and video samples of course, of the Axis P3364 1MP dome camera.

Cool. I have the predessor, actually just got it from Axis, the P3343 and actually, the low light capabilities are about the same, albeit it's an 800x600 pixel camera, not 720P. I'm still waiting for the 1MP model with the built in IR illuminators but reality is, if you have a porch light on like you do, it works quite well without it.

Did you set the max shutter speed? I found the default out of the box to be 1/6th which is too long for any motion.

It's actually at the default of 1/30th sec, which is the fastest for low light in the drop down list.

Capture.PNG.bd2e48930073d27bbe762f37b1c664ba.PNG

Good write up and nice site

I didn't have the same difficult experience that you did with the silver tabs (I think they work quite nicely!), but I do not have the 3364-VE, I have the 3346-VE and 3367-VE, but the casing and everything is the same, just a different sensor.

My 3346-VE on my patio:

205090_1.jpg

My 3367-VE on the driveway:

205090_2.jpg

It has a check box to "Enable Dynamic Contrast" which helps at certain times of the day, but it really makes everything washed out due to the lack of contrast. Adjusting the exposure windows made the biggest difference for me.

Thanks for the info. I am pretty impressed with the Samsungs, so I was tempted to try one in my corner spot, but the advantage of the Axis is that the heater works over PoE, and in this spot that's more of a concern (outside of main building so temperature could be more of a concern).

The 3364 also has a wider FOV on the lens (2.5mm instead of 3mm) and would cover more ground.

I'm curious how good it would do at night with my external IR illuminator.

I just got one of these 3364-VE cameras and installed it last night. I just want to append to the comments of the previous review, this is a VERY good camera. The quality, and the lens quality in particular at 2.5mm wide angle is good... I really appreciate the noticeably wider FOV when using this camera in a corner residential location as it lets me keep tabs on a larger area of my property.

Night performance is head and shoulders above that of my Vivotek, and with my Axton IR illuminator it is quite impressive.

The camera offers backlight compensation and also offers WDR. I'm still playing around with the settings to get the best image setting but already a big improvement over the Vivotek, which I will be selling soon.

The Vivotek is the last camera I will own that requires manipulating little arms to set the focus and lens angle, I am spoiled by the one touch focus/zoom setting capabilities on the Axis and Samsung cams.