DJack

Outdoor low light Dome Camera? Veilux vv-70cdnl2812D

I am looking for advice for a new camera and advice on how to adjust my current Veilux Camera.

Under the advice of the person at 2mcctv.com I purchased a Veilux vv-70cdnl2812d. I have this camera mounted under the eve of my roof right above my front door. The problem with the camera is that in the area there is extremely low light. At night when the camera is on I can see the image of my truck and trailer but when I walk through the area it does not pick up my image. I have to be standing still for a few seconds for it to render an image.

Another issue I have with the same camera is that at night when a cars drive by on the street the headlights from the cars wash the image out for a few seconds while the camera adjusts. I don't mind that, but each time it sets off the motion and creates an alert. I have tried to adjust the sensitivity but it still trips the alert. Not a big deal just an annoyance.

I am using a geovision gv-650b 8 channel card on a desktop pc to record.

I was also looking for a recommendation for another camera I can put in the same general area but pointing down my drive instead of across my porch. It would be the same low light area but I don't know if I should use one with IR. Any recommendations would be helpful. There are two motion lights that come on if you get close enough to the structure of my house and that helps with the image, but if someone was messing with my trailer or car they might not set off the motion lights to help illuminate the area.

Thank you,

DJack

Try an external IR illuminator and see how that helps. $40 to $80 bucks on Amazon will buy you nice floodlights or long distance spotlights. That'll light things up all the time without lighting yourself up like Fort Knox. Not sure how sensitive your dome is to IR light though but it has an ICR so it should help. I've got a 940nm CMVision that is completely invisible (no red glow) to help out before my motion lights kick in. Some cams see 850nm (the red glowing type) much easier than 940nm though. Adding another cam with IR shining down the driveway may do the job for you without another illuminator but the more the merrier. Another member here has a few videos of his Gadspot camera installation and they seem to work fine and don't wash out facial detail when someone gets close to the camera. Search shockwave199's posts and find his links. I've tried a few cams including the vaunted CNB MonaLisa domes and haven't been completely happy with any of them. That's why I'm switching to a hybrid system to throw some IP cams into the mix.

So is the low light the reason it does not track me or any moving object at night? It comes up as wavy lines that just distorts the still picture, you can't even tell I am out there.

The cam is performing very poorly with the light it has available so it has to slow down the exposure to get enough light to give a good static picture. Imagine how far you would move and blur in the picture if it takes a frame every second. That'll give the sensor 30 times the light of a 1/30th of a second exposure (a good setting that'll give a fairly crisp image of moving objects) but totally destroy the ability of the camera to show moving objects like cars and people. You might be able to change some settings in the camera to speed up the exposure setting at the expense of noise or brightness level on non-moving objects. It definitely needs more light by the way it is acting though.

One last question,

I'm trying to decide on my next camera to point down the driveway. I think I am going to go with the CNB with IR. Can you tell me the difference between the LKM vs LCM? I am using a 12V power supply so that does not matter. I just don't know what the difference is between the K and the C in the second place of the nomenclature. They look identical to me. Is one better than the other since it is $50 more?

http://www.123securityproducts.com/lcm-24vf-2g.html

http://www.2mcctv.com/product_info-CNBLKM20VF.html

Different chipset, different lens, different low-light capability, different power consumption. The LCM-24VF is a Mona Lisa chipset cam, the LKM-20VF isn't, despite what your link says (or at least doesn't claim the LKM-20VF to be one on their site but DOES mention that the LCM-24VF is). Compare the specs of the two side by side to see the differences. CNB says that the LKM-20VF performs better in low light before the IR kicks in but won't give as wide a view as the LCM-24VF if you need a fisheye closeup view.

http://www.cnbusa.com/en/html/product/product.php?inc=spe&seqx_prod=1264#p_v1

http://www.cnbtec.com/en/html/product/product.php?inc=spe&seqx_prod=1376#p_v1

Reading the specs, the 20VF is the better cam if you don't absolutely need to have the wider view.

edit- I just plugged the two model numbers into pricegrabber because usually the MonaLisa cams (24 series) are more expensive than the 20 series. Guess what? The 20VF IS the cheaper cam according to pricegrabber (but not your two different sites), so despite the slight lux performance differences listed on their site, the 24VF is probably the better camera but switches to B&W and then IR slightly faster in failing light than the 20VF. I've got two 24VFs here but I've never tried a 20VF to compare.

I went ahead and bought the LCM-24vf 2g from 123securityproducts. Total after shipping $189

Thank you

Try a better camera. I only have a few knowledge when it comes to cctv (which is why I have my adviser) and as one who has a little background, I can say that there’s nothing you can do about it but to have it replaced.