destro_23

Dahua camera lens options

just wondering what possible lenses have some of you found out to work with dahua cameras.. From reading a few threads i've seen a few people mention changing the lens out for something a little more focused. But thought i'd start a fresh thread..

so if you can list what lens / site / model / part number and what dahua camera it fits and works on correctly i would appreciate it!

Known working lenses

For Dahua Bullet cameras these work(bike_rider confirmed) but from reading the comments there is no IR filter on these

http://dx.com/p/2-8mm-16mm-fixed-iris-lens-set-for-webcams-and-security-cctv-cameras-6-lens-pack-15774?item=1

Edited by Guest

I can only speak to the bullet cameras. These cameras use an M12 AKA Board lens mount. These are inexpensive and easy to to find. Deal Extremem sells a multi pack (part 15774) for $14. - 2.8, 3.6,6, 8, 12, and 16mm.

The dx 2.8 and a "Gino" brand 2.8 from uxcell, via Amazon, did not fit properly. It is impossible to screw them in far enough to focus - they are too long.

awesome info bike.. I wonder if anyone has successfully found any lens for the 3200CN mini 2mp dome.

I am wondering the same thing. Hopefully someone has some info.

There's probably more flexibility in the mini dome because you don't have to worry about the IR LED light bleed nor the IR cut filter that prevents you from screwing in longer lenses on the IR bullet.

awesome info bike.. I wonder if anyone has successfully found any lens for the 3200CN mini 2mp dome.

Do you mean IPC-HDB3200CN? it supports 2.8mm/3.6mm/6mm fixed lens.

know of any website that has these available in the USA? any specific specs of these lenses so we can look around?

It'd be nice to have a sticky or a spreadsheet or something that listed the retailers which supply known compatible models.

Ok, I ordered some of the $2.70 3.6mm ones on DealExtreme. I'll post back with the results and camera model when I get/test them.

know of any website that has these available in the USA? any specific specs of these lenses so we can look around?

I don't know where is available in USA, but i can supply you.

2.8mm lens is large angle, over 90degree. would you tell me more requests of it?

Amazon B&H

Be carefull about the quality/resolution of the lens.

On a PAL/NTSC/D1 resolution, quality is less important, but on a MP system it is.

To get my point, on a digital camera or on a video recorder, the optics are always the ones that make a difference, right?

So this happens to CCTV too.

Also, if you're going to be using IR, be sure the lens is IR compensated. If not, the white light view can be fine, while the IR view will be blurry (or vice-versa).

Some lenses labeled IR are IR blocking, not IR compensated...

At promised, I've taken a bunch of sample images from the pack of lenses I bought. I was concerned about IR coating too, until I realized that lots of cameras with M12 lenses have built IR and very few aftermarket lenses mention IR coating. From that I guessed that many of these board lenses have IR coating and do not bother to mention it. The couple of lenses that I tested in the multi pack (2.8, 3.6 and 12mm I think) do fine with Ir light.

Now, on to the samples. Part 1. (The crop is because there was somebody in the image.)

The 6mm aftermarket isn't quiet as good as the original. You can see the blur in the sign on the left. OTOH, the aftermarket seems to have a little more contrast in the center. The aftermarket 8mm looks good.

The clouds rolled in while was testing, but in bright sun there was purple fringing on the right side of the images, around the bright white trim. No samples of that.

qsee-8mm.thumb.jpg.fadfc8572f622f420f3ce26e00a051f4.jpg

qsee-6mm-orig.thumb.jpg.107df60d311a066ae51cb2445b639e4c.jpg

qsee-6mm-aftermarket.thumb.jpg.079e9aaecb64279a3a4943a23720045b.jpg

Samples part 2.

I'm not sure why the bottom of the 16mm image is dark. Might be cloud shadow, might be my finger over the lens. This might be the best lens in the set.

The 12mm isn't great. There is a lot of edge softness.

I don't have any samples of the 2.8mm because they do not fit correctly. I dn't have a comparable sample from the 3.6mm because it is installed in another camera. The 3.6 works well, but does have some port holing effect.

qsee-12mm.thumb.jpg.bd00519e27a19d29baf7925d4ed3eaea.jpg

qsee-16mm.thumb.jpg.f206c11110b1e0b350fe6ec76455c861.jpg

qsee-36mm.JPG.250716505a2dce0f20bd364d7eea7841.JPG

The port-hole effect, known as vignetting, is caused by the lens being a smaller size than the sensor - for example, a 1/4" lens used with a 1/3" sensor.

It also gives you a different field of view than matched lens/sensor combo - a 3.6mm lens that matched the sensor would give you more zoom and less fish-eye effect. You can roughly see what it would look like by drawing a rectangle over the image that excludes all the dark corners.

You've hit on the several of the things that make a difference in lenses - the color fringing (called chromatic aberration) and the fuzziness at the edges compared to the middle. Getting rid of either of these costs more, so the lenses are a little pricier.

I also found dust and lint inside some of my cheaper board cam lenses. This is easy to see as you're screwing the lens in, when the focus is completely fuzz. Any particles on the lens surfaces will rotate as you screw the lens in, and if they're internal, you won't be able to blow or wipe them away.

The port-hole effect, known as vignetting, is caused by the lens being a smaller size than the sensor - for example, a 1/4" lens used with a 1/3" sensor.

This is not vignetting, in this case. The lens is actually seeing the edge of the housing it is in. I noticed this too playing with DX lenses I ordered. Compared to a factory 3.6, it looks to me that this DX lens is just a bit shorter and somewhat recessed from the front glass of the housing. But the quality of the ones I played with were pretty good.

To add my 2 cents worth, I purchased the 3.6mm and 12mm lenses from M12lenses.com. They have a couple different quality levels. It was suggested to get the Mega brand as that is what Dahua supplies in the cameras so that is what I bought.

The 3.6mm lens went in fine and works great, as expected. The 12mm lens is too long, and can't screw in far enough to focus. It was only have trying it in a couple of cameras that the contact at M12lenses told me the distance needed. With the Dahua 1.2mp camera, you need a lens that is shorter than about 20.5mm, i.e. the distance from the tip of the lens to the sensor. The 12mm lens, when screwed in all the way, still stuck out over 22mm so it would never focus.

The 12 and 16mm lenses that bikerider tested apparently were short enough to screw in far enough to focus. I was disappointed that the Mega 12mm was too long to work as I assumed all the 12mm would be made equally.

Bikerider reported some quality issues with the lenses he bought, in particular in strong light, which is what we have a lot of here in New Mexico. Is there another brand that is of a higher quality like the Mega brand but is short enough to work in the Dahua camera? From Dahua, they only offer the 3.6, 6, and 8mm. If I have to, I can get the 8mm, but would really like a quality lens in the 12mm format.

Thanks

You might want to try ragecams on ebay. They have quite a range of gear, claim to offer good service, and I had good luck with a lens I bought from them. Shoot them an email and see if they have any good advice.

Thanks for the suggestion. I wrote Ragecam. It seems his stuff is incredibly expensive. I saw the same Mega lens I bought for $15 he was selling for $70. Will wait to see what his response is before I jump to a conclusion.

Appreciate your reply!