What is the best security camera monitoring and recording software?

I currently have:

ExacqVision Software

(16) Arecont Cameras

(20) Clients that connect to view cameras

Anyone heard of Milestone?

We are in the process of converting over (120) analog cameras to IP so the system would need to be robust.

Curious, 20 clients watching all these cameras? Holy bandwidth nightmare batman.... I hope these 20 clients are internal LAN at least or you have one heck of an upload pipe.

You didn't say what type of Areconts but your question was what is the best.

I am so against Milestone based on past experience that I'm not even going to comment. I assume you have exacq going now so my question is what do you dis-like about exacq that is making you want to switch? 20 clients is a lot for any VMS really so some serious bandwidth management is needed and is usually where secondary (sometimes more) streams come into play.

The 20 clients are not always running at the same time. It is just the total number of installs that we have on client computers. Bandwidth has not been an issue as of yet because we run everything on separate privately owned fiber networks which prevent issues.

As for software, I like ExacqVision’s software layout and use but I have a very weird issue in regards to cameras locking up and everything seems to point to the software as having issues with the cameras. I know several other places that are running the same cameras and software and are experiencing the same issues as me so it has to be something with either the software or the cameras.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=33103

Ya....Arecont and exacqvision are not a match made in heaven that's for sure. I've had many connection issues myself.

Wireguys mentioned Avigilon fixed the issues his customers have had but I have an Arecont bullet camera here at the office with Avigilon where I run into random connection issues. Overall Avigilon is leaps and bounds ahead of exacq when connecting with Arecont I found as well.

I point to the camera but I seem to run into random Arecont issues often and not with just connecting

If you need a 30 day demo of Avigilon any of the Avigilon guys on here, including myself, could hook you up so you can take it for a spin and be amazed for yourself Just saying LOL!.....

Question about the Avigilon ACC editions, their website shows that the Core edition does not support Audio Recording. Isn't the camera encoding the audio into the video stream or does ACC do something different?

I've used many software packages and for us what worked out best was Exacq. If we had not gone with Exacq we would have chosen Avigilon. After testing a ton those were the only two standouts that would fill all of our needs.

In our case Exacq was more cost effective by a big margin in the end, but that may not be everyone's experience.

If Exacq is giving you issues I would recommend Avigilon for sure.

Question about the Avigilon ACC editions, their website shows that the Core edition does not support Audio Recording. Isn't the camera encoding the audio into the video stream or does ACC do something different?

U right camera can give audio

but u need audio Lic for ACC to enable recording

If you already have an investment in Exacq, I would hound them to the fix your issue and if they can't, make them give you a refund. If a company says they support a camera and it doesn't work, why should the consumer be punished.

If they refuse to support the product, assuming you pay the annual fee, I would have an attorney send them a demand letter, that usually gets their attention.

Core edition does not support audio. Standard and Enterprise do but you will be a license for the audio to work. This includes live and recording so if you want any form of audio you need a license

What cameras are you using with Exacq?

I've used many software packages and for us what worked out best was Exacq. If we had not gone with Exacq we would have chosen Avigilon. After testing a ton those were the only two standouts that would fill all of our needs.

In our case Exacq was more cost effective by a big margin in the end, but that may not be everyone's experience.

I am in the process of testing a development build that I was given from a reseller who thought it might help fix our issues. Do you use Exacq and do you have any issues?

If you already have an investment in Exacq, I would hound them to the fix your issue and if they can't, make them give you a refund. If a company says they support a camera and it doesn't work, why should the consumer be punished.

If they refuse to support the product, assuming you pay the annual fee, I would have an attorney send them a demand letter, that usually gets their attention.

What cameras are you using with Exacq?

I am using ACTi cameras mostly, but I also have Vivotek cameras and a few Axis cameras and they have all worked perfectly for me, no issues at all. I have even got ACTi cameras to work fine before they were even added as a supported camera in Exacq - worked fine for a couple of months and then they were added fully.

I am using indoor domes, outdoor domes, outdoor box, bullets, and hemispheric cameras from ACTi. I am using indoor domes, outdoor domes, and bullets from Vivotek.

Hmm…. and no issues you say? Dang, there has got to be something simple that is causing me all this grief. The only other thing I could think of would be multicast and unicast traffic but the network is segmented and separated to prevent that.

I haven't had any issues with ACTi or Axis with Exacq besides the fact it takes forever to review recorded video but that happens with any MP camera on Exacq. Or when a camera disconnects it takes a long time for cameras to connect even when you adjust the reconnection time.

Thanks for all the insight and help. Does anyone have any issues or concerns with the ACTi brand of cameras?

For me, ACTi has good support and customer service and my oldest ACTi camera is 4 years old. They are coming out with a new series of cameras very soon. They just announced one today, the 1080P PTZ camera.