Sign in to follow this  
DJack

Ajusting Color on security cameras

I am looking for help on adjusting my security cameras.

I have two covering my driveway and porch. My house faces north away from the sun and the cameras are under an overhang. There is a big white house across the street that does reflect light back toward my cameras.

I do not know enough about brightness and contrast to get a good picture. Is there a percise way to get the best picture because after all that I have tried to read it still seems like I am guessing.

Here are a few screen shots. The first one is the best I have been able to adjust it to but it still does not seem sharp. The last 2 are before adjusting.

The cameras are Veilux vv-70cdnl2812d, and CNB LCM-24vf 2g

Thank you for any help.

fp.jpg.8396ffdfae68fce180fc115067bc397e.jpg

DW.jpg.706960217c15368da8ebc0127528ec5c.jpg

correcteddw.jpg.d6c85ead851ed202e1478f741a309ace.jpg

That's not a brightness or contrast issue, you need to enable WDR (wide dynamic range). It helps in very contrasty scenes like you posted.

I have the WDR enabled on both cameras and it still has the same image. It looks really good during sunrise and sunset but during bright daylight it has the problem. Is there anything else I can do to help the image if the WDR is on?

Which camera is which? Not sure why your thread asks about adjusting color when it's a light problem you're tackling. Looks to me like your first pic where you adjusted it is about the best you can get. Super bright sun will always be a challenge. There may be a number of WDR settings within the that menu, including level and shadow compensation. Be careful with highlight compensation- try it and see but it can do some wacky stuff to the image. You can try different settings but I would suggest writing down where you start from and what settings you change along the way, so you can go back if you need. You can change so many settings along the way that you get lost, and it's not always the case where you want to default the camera back to square one. Depending on how important the night picture is, anything you compensate for during bright sunshine may make the night shot too dark, so it's a balance between the two. Sometimes you just have to move the camera or change the direction of the lens, keeping it as low as you can so it avoids direct sun. In most cases you only need a field of view that's as high as the tallest truck in a shot, and no higher. That can help keep direct sun out. You may want to point your driveway camera down more. You'll lose the end of the driveway and street but what are you gaining by seeing that anyway. Your FOV will be more productive. Camera settings can only go so far. If it doesn't help you'll need to consider adjusting the field of view to avoid bright sun.

It says adjusting color because I thought it was a brightness or contrast issue. I was mistaken, as yakky pointed out it is with the WDR.

As for the camera's the CNB is pointing down the driveway and the Veilux is on the porch.

Thank you for the advice, I will play with the lens and point it down farther, I was hoping to keep the window in the picture, but that is not as important. I do not care about the very end of the driveway or the street.

Thank you