Guest alopu

remote recording

Hi

Anyone heard about DVRs with function - if alarm event (alarm sensor activated) – then DVR records not only on local HDDs but also (and first of all) on HDDs in remote central monitoring station? Automatically without manual intervention form remote station site (start recording). Not only sending information that alarm event happen to central monitoring – but start pushing out stream of pictures to remote station for remote recording.

Thanks in advance for help

Yes - that’s not bad idea. But in this scenario thief will have lot of time to find out DVR (which will be hidden and in metal, wandalproof case) and find out additional local backup HDD. The only solution is to record automatically and remotely – I think.

Sure, there are some, though to be honest its not that reliable to depend on recording across the internet.

The Alarm Monitoring function for the GE DVR's via WaveReader software is pretty good at this. You can setup how many pics you want uploaded from each alarm/event. It's not constant streaming of video but only alarm pics that are sent, although the connection should be live for instant performance.

The problem is WaveReader does not work with DIGI-4 GE DVR - and only DIGI-4 can be considered bacause of price.

Ok, you didn't say it was a case of $$$, but unless you hide the DVR really well you could have a problem getting a DVR with features to suit on a low budget. Is a second hand GE or similar a problem ? There may be other low cost DVRs available with the feature/s you need. Anyone else have a suggestion ??

I have seen this done before:

Use a single channel Web Server. Connect a composite video output from DVR to a hidden location where the web Server is. Have a computer at remote location connected via web server's client software and record on that PC. But you still run into the problem of thief finding web server or DVR etc.

Or you could just buy a junk VCR/TV and feed the systems video out to it. Add a blank tape for spice. KISS.

Yes - I thought about this. Finally - it seems to me - could be a good system which records on local DVR HDDs, additional records on central monitoring station HDD (but it is limited by bandwidth) and additionally records to some of regular PCs in clients branch offices (if software allows for this – but it is in the same LAN and have high, local bandwidth) – with high speed for local transmitions. Thief will have not time to destroy all clients PCs and, I hope, even think about this.

With the internet connection it should allow the system to send some snapshots of the thief before they steal your stuff.

You are really imagining worst case scenario that’s for sure. If you can get the system to send pictures to other computers on your LAN, then I doubt the thief would even know to try and destroy them.

They might try to steal the other PC’s. So your best bet is to try and send snapshots over the internet. Maybe increase your internet connection speed if that is a concern or option for you.

True worst case plan: Thief cuts power. Waits two hours for APC to run down. Liberate anything without worries. The trick is to find a reasonable balance.

Yeah, that really is worst case.

If there is a way to send a power outage alert to your central monitoring software and you can be alerted by a noise, you can send somebody to check the situation.

Most thieves will choose a place they know not to have a security system than take a chance on a place that has video surveillance signs posted.

If not, they know you have something really of value to steal. They have cased the place and might even be an insider.

The chances statistically of the worst case scenario are pretty slim, but it can happen.

You might want to review your insurance coverage for theft loss, just in case.

I think balance, like Thomas said is really the key here.

Don’t worry yourself about things you can’t control.

they cut the power, phone, and internet ..

short the power from outside so the alarm panel gets fried, so bang goes the idea of a back up radio ..

nothing is 100%.

Yes - nothing is 100% But l`m looking for this client for best possible solution in theirs budget. Thats why many thanks to jasper, thomas, sean mort, etc. Can you add something Rory - please?

Geo Vision's Center2 software does this. I just tested it for a day from a remote location, and using built in motion detection it sent me video and recorded it to my HDD.

I thought you already found a DVR for this application though?

I`m still looking. I know PC system (geo) gives much more functions - but it must be standalone solution.

There are many atandalone DVRs that engage FTP sessions with a remote host, sending individual images. These systems send sets of individual pictures to be stored anywhere you specify on a local or remote server.

I believe you are requesting direct recording at multiple locations of the same streaming video, or selected timeframes of that video. This is typically done with a streaming device like an encoder or IP camera that can maintain multiple IP streams (and the performance required) to two different locations. As stated earlier in the thread, it assumes you've got the bandwidth!

I know of two systems that can perform this; Milestone (server level), Verint (encoder), along with a number of IP camera manufacturers such as Panasonic. I hope this helps, and I apologize if I bumped this inadvertantly into the IP world!

I think you mean multicast/unicast solutions. Of course - multicast is most wanted. What I know - Milestone is limited to 64 remote cameras (too small) - but thanks for help.

I think you mean multicast/unicast solutions. Of course - multicast is most wanted. What I know - Milestone is limited to 64 remote cameras (too small) - but thanks for help.
Actually I was not referring to unicast/multicast, since there are a few multi-stream-format products today that get it done without multicast. One example is a camera that produces both MJPEG and MPEG4 streams, each for a different purpose (and different bandw. usage). IP multicast requires L3 switches (routers) with a specific capability of producing, controlling and directing the multicast.

The Milestone Enterprise product actually supports a maximum view of 64 cameras per screen (!) and 64 cameras per server (multiple servers supported) and 16 remotely viewed cameras. The design limits on the system are determined by Frame Rate (indiv. cam), a max of 600,000 images recorded per camera and a number of other items accurately calculated here and here.

Good luck with your purchase!

Steve,

Noticed you changed your signature line. Checked out your gallery you have some beautiful pictures in there.

Did you take all those yourself? No I don't think so they are too perfect.

Didn't look at all of them, but the Chicago River was a very nice photo.

It is a shame you need a Standalone as I agree with all other posts above that you will not find that feature in many Standalone devices, you will only find it in a Web Server or a PC Based System.

The Geovision Control Room Software will handle this with ease, you could allow the system to stram video on alarm activaation or when UPS device is activated, it can record off site and even has a GSM server built into the unit, the best feature I saw when demonstrated was the two way audio.

The ability to automate a warning sound that is played from offsite really would send the creeps up any would be thief, quite obviously you will need a camera to cover the DVR so that you at least get a good stream before the thief smashes the DVR, but the control centre version that is free is an awesome way to have extended backup.