There's a method used by Dahua distributors to recover bricked DVRs, documented here:

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/download/TFTP%20upgrade%20instructor.pdf

If you've got a serial port on yours and the correct files from a known good software package, this may work. Otherwise, you may want to find a helpful Dahua distributor who understands this and can give you a hand.

Unfortunately, Dahua factory support for these situations is non-existent.

This is good stuff!

Ta-nekdo, Solar Winds distributes a very good and simple to use Free TFTP Server. However, the entire process is going to take you some time if you've never done it before.

Well, they provided me General_IPC-HX3XXX_Eng_N_V2.103.0001.0.R.20120914.bin

However, they said it's only for the ipc-hfw3200cn and that they would provide me a new firmware for the ipc-hfw3300cn next week.

My understanding is that this firmware should be suitable for both. I guess I will wait and see what they send next week.

So I tried the firmware on the ipc-hfw3200cn, and it updated / upgraded the camera without any issue. It improved the FTP behavior of the camera (one of my complaints). The camera now has HLC and WDR.

I decided to roll the dice and try the firmware on one of my ipc-hfw3300cn cameras. It also updated / upgraded the camera without any issue. The FTP behavior improved here also. HLC and WDR are now also available on the ipc-hfw3300cn as well. Since it worked on the first ipc-hfw3300cn I tried it on the second and had success there also. It's too soon to know if it improves and of the exposure pumping or flickering, but I've got my fingers crossed.

If nothing else, the cameras aren't doing a near DoS attack on my FTP server anymore (sending >500 commands a second to the server between the 3 camera). CPU usage of the FTP server on my PC is now between 0-5% instead of 20-30%. " title="Applause" />

I'm curious to see what firmware they send me next week that's for the ipc-hfw3300cn.

I've started working on my HFW3300C/Blue Iris network dropouts again to get this cam into service, and had a breakthrough, thanks to a suggestion over at the BI forum:

http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=4062.msg19954#msg19954

By changing my i-frame setting from 2x the frame rate to 1x the frame rate (from 20 to 10 in my case), my BI network dropouts went from 70-140 per 24 hours to under 10 (VBR) and 3 (CBR) at 3MP, 4096 kb/s.

After this, I figured I'd try the firmware update Stereodude provided - 2.103.0001.0.R, build : 2012-09-14, because why leave well enough alone? Anyway, the upgrade took, didn't brick my camera, and everything came back online with no issues, including remembering the most of the settings.

The only problems: I can no longer update these pages:

- Network, TCP/IP (all fields are blank, including MAC address, no updates possible on any of them)

- System/General web page (Device Name is blank, used to be the SN, and the Date&Time tab won't open at all).

So, the camera's working fine on the default .108 IP address, but there appears to be no way to change that in this firmware, at least on my camera. I'll test it a bit, then go back to the last version, unless someone comes up with an official HFW3300C version of the 2012-09-14 firmware.

There's a method used by Dahua distributors to recover bricked DVRs, documented here:

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/download/TFTP%20upgrade%20instructor.pdf

If you've got a serial port on yours and the correct files from a known good software package, this may work. Otherwise, you may want to find a helpful Dahua distributor who understands this and can give you a hand.

Unfortunately, Dahua factory support for these situations is non-existent.

Hi , Thanks for the article. I am going to try this out, anybody have any idea where i could download the TFTP and NOCM?

Hello!

Can you send me firmware for IPC-HFW3300C? Sorry for my poor English.

I haven't tried the Dahua TFTP setup (don't have one of their NVRs), but it looks like the NCOM software is the TFTP client or a serial comm program, like Hyperterm, Putty, or Teraterm (Win7 dropped Hyperterm).

Last time I used TFTP to update a corporate POE switch, I used tftpd32, from http://tftpd32.jounin.net/. This is both a server and client, so you only run the one program, point it to your source files, then type the tftp commands directly.

I also haven't tried Solarwinds, but it may have a client incorporated as well.

After this, I figured I'd try the firmware update Stereodude provided - 2.103.0001.0.R, build : 2012-09-14, because why leave well enough alone? Anyway, the upgrade took, didn't brick my camera, and everything came back online with no issues, including remembering the most of the settings.

- Network, TCP/IP (all fields are blank, including MAC address, no updates possible on any of them)

- System/General web page (Device Name is blank, used to be the SN, and the Date&Time tab won't open at all).

The same thing happened to me. If I'm remembering correctly after closing my browser and restarting my browser and logging back in I could change the fields again.

The same thing happened to me. If I'm remembering correctly after closing my browser and restarting my browser and logging back in I could change the fields again.

I tried that, as well as power cycle, but it turned out it was a bad flash. Re-flashing brought everything back to normal, and it's a lot less glitchy now. I don't see any major differences in the new firmware, but will continue to look.

When I flashed it, I had a couple of 5MP cams online for testing, and one of them was acting up, causing problems with all my network cams (I didn't notice this until later). I believe this may have corrupted the file transfer, fortunately not enough to brick the stupid thing.

I reflashed with the offending cam removed and from a PC right next to my POE switch, out of excess caution, and it went fine.

This is another Dahua software snafu. They should do a CRC check before flashing any code. I've had several other cameras warn me about bad firmware or incorrect versions, preventing me from bricking them. Come on, Dahua, get it together.

Looks like this model has the serial port on the motherboard, not on the case, so you'd have to find the connector and figure out the pinouts. Probably not real difficult, but it would depend on your hacking skills.

From the Dahua "support" board:

our company have a RS232 cable to extend LE-AS RS232 function for TFTP upgrade.if you donot have this cable,you have to return this mainboard for repair.

Come on, Dahua, get it together!

Well, isn't it enough that people brick DVRs&others through web/net updates? Should they brick products via low-level flashing too (which is 95% unrecoverable without desoldering SoCs)?

This is from my personal experience with people updating DAHUA's products... 90% don't know what they do, but think they will get a better product (like a software update will ever sky-rocket a hardware's performance...).

Well, isn't it enough that people brick DVRs&others through web/net updates? Should they brick products via low-level flashing too (which is 95% unrecoverable without desoldering SoCs)?

This is from my personal experience with people updating DAHUA's products... 90% don't know what they do, but think they will get a better product (like a software update will ever sky-rocket a hardware's performance...).

Any reasonably modern firmware update utility is going to run a routine that first checks the hardware being flashed against the firmware attempting to load, and will not allow one to flash with an incorrect product firmware. This should leave power failure during firmware update as the only possible non idiot-proof possibility.

Manufacturers figured this out a decade ago. So why can't Dahua?

What's your experience with DAHUA updates?

Of course it has this implemented. But:

-people try to update with *any* firmware they find on web, including test releases; even if it's available and trusted/checked (CRC&product model&other) by DAHUA, it's a test/unreliable release; thus, the equipment will flash it and ... whatever happens, praise!

-people try the low-level/SoC update that fails and then play the "i don't know why this happened" card

(Some of the)People will go for the lowest price, rather than the official channel. So, they buy it from China, via many sellers (even ones that clone). They aren't interested what happens to your device, but they will give you firmware with "improvements". So flash it and...

I hope you get my point.

...I hope you get my point.

No, I don't. I must be one of the idiot 90% you were previously trashing.

Well, I thank you for installing my backdoored firmware...

Now I just have to sort out your IP...

(Don't alarm, that's quite difficult to checkout in the mass installing all sorts of firmware...

Damn... Not found... or was it a joke, maybe?)

Was I joking or I was telling the truth? Any antivirus/firewall or any safety solution for DVRs/NVRs and IPCs that can be installed? How secure is your installation?

Dahua has at least one gaping security hole in their firmware for a few of the cameras, so to stay secure, the cameras should not be available on any insecure network (and certainly not on the internet).

I've flashed my 4 Vivoteks more times than I can remember, including switching back and forth between versions to compare, and never had a problem, both with firmware from Vivotek and with firmware from the community. Totally reliable, and I've never hesitated. Heck, I've never had a firmware flashing problem with any of my other IP cams, including ones where the manufacturer is out of business.

I've flashed my 2 Dahuas 5 times total, and one went wrong on the HFW3300C, causing multiple problems. Fortunately, it was recoverable, and flashing it again with the same firmware was OK, so it appears the firmware was corrupted, either going across the network or during the flash. Buellwinkle, who also has some expertise in IP cams, bricked one, using officially supplied firmware from his vendor.

And yes, I did get improved performance the first time I flashed my 3300, as it enabled WDR, which was important to me. Which of the many firmware problems do the other updates fix? Well, nobody knows, do they? Or if they do, they're not telling.

Seriously, this is one of the single biggest problems with Dahua's non-existent end user support, in my opinion - lack of firmware support, lack of bug fix info, lack of any support beyond "talk to your supplier" (which resulted in incorrect info for at least one user in a previous thread).

These poor users who put the wrong firmware on (why did Dahua allow it to flash, if it's not right? Even my Y-Cam won't allow me to do that!) are just out of luck, it appears. This is the Dahua trashcan warranty - Got problems? Throw it away and buy another, because we won't help.

I know you don't agree, dexterash, and that's fine, but you'll never convince the majority of Dahua end users that this abysmal lack of support is a good thing.

Sorry about the rant, but none of my other camera manufacturers treat me this way.

Oh, lol. I have no gain or something writing about DAHUA. It's just my experience and my observations.

I'm fond of their products. We do test some other brands too, but we will never say what's bad about a brand or what security holes there are. That would give some ideeas to any "not-welcomed" person that reads this forum.

The same happens to firmwares. Also, I doubt any reputable/DAHUA recommended seller would do mistakes. Of course, the one that DAHUA will recommend could be 10-30% above "lowest price", but they will give you what you need/desire.

I've never seen around here an official point/e-mail from DAHUA. Has anyone really ask DAHUA where to buy, buy from that place and complain of poor support?