Douglaster

Making the Dahua IPC-HDB3200C see at night

Hi there my friends !

This camera, for me, is the ultimate cost x Benefit.

POE, small size, REAL 1080p, nice dome with some protection, nice embedded software with constant updates (although a bit hard to get the upgrades).

But one thing bothers me, it cant see at all at night, its completely pitch black.

So i wonder if i switch the lens for another or remove the IR-Filter (do they have one at all ?) will make them see at night ?

I have another camera with IR Leds that is flooding the room with IR.

Thanks for the help.

you have to replace the IR filter (that's day only now) with a semipermisive day/night filter that is megapixel too.

Any link on this item ?

none that i know of (haven't searched)

but bare in mind that colors will be affected too

Yep, no problem with the "wash out" effect on colors.

But my questions remains, if i remove the filter, leaving NO filter in the lens, will it see IR ?

Thanks

none that i know of (haven't searched)

but bare in mind that colors will be affected too

Yep, no problem with the "wash out" effect on colors.

But my questions remains, if i remove the filter, leaving NO filter in the lens, will it see IR ?

Thanks

Probably not. Generally the lens/board/sensor would be IR capable and then there is a mechanical filter that moves up and out of the way to allow the camera to see the IR spectrum in the evening.

While most cameras probably have some visibility in this spectrum I am skeptical that any camera will provide a usable image if you simply replace the lens with one that has a mechanical IR cut filter.

This camera probably has a fixed IR filter between the lens and the sensor, since the sensor is similar to the IR-capable Dahua 3200 cameras. These fixed filters are usually easy to remove, and are typically small squares of glass. It may be part of the lens, but that's pretty unusual.

I removed the fixed filter from one of my Areconts, and it was pretty quick and easy. Now I get good IR sensitivity (and focus shifts if I use a non-IR corrected lens), but also get color shifts during the day when there's a lot of IR present.

This camera probably has a fixed IR filter between the lens and the sensor, since the sensor is similar to the IR-capable Dahua 3200 cameras. These fixed filters are usually easy to remove, and are typically small squares of glass. It may be part of the lens, but that's pretty unusual.

I removed the fixed filter from one of my Areconts, and it was pretty quick and easy. Now I get good IR sensitivity (and focus shifts if I use a non-IR corrected lens), but also get color shifts during the day when there's a lot of IR present.

Ah , just what i wanted to know ! Thanks.

Ill try this this weekend !

Most day only cameras like this have a lens coated with an IR filter. Odds are you will have to replace the lens with one that does not have this coating, which by luck would be most 3rd party lenses. Dx.com has a collection of lenses that may work for you.

Does it have to be IR light? I bought a 3200 for my driveway for a few reasons - A) it's good looking/very-small (no HOA issues), B) high resolution vs. cost. The areahas minimal (porch) lighting. I then bought a "Mr. Beam" CREE LED Motion-Activated spotlight off of Amazon for $18. It's basically a high-powered flashlight with large batteries. Works excellent. Unless you're expecting ninja's that don't set off motion sensors, it might serve your purpose.

The Mr.Beam runs on 4.5v (3 "D" Batteries) and mounts to the wall. I jerry-rigged mine with a 4v relay and power adapter so that it will run off of house mains via the 4.5v AC Adapter, once that loses power the relay will trip (go to off) and switch to the batteries. The batteries supposedly last about 8-12months.

If you wanted to get really creative, you could tap into the POE power (depending your POE output) and voltage regulate the 12v down to 4.5v for the LED.

*edit* There's a few of them sold by Amazon now, I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Beams-Wireless-Spotlight-Photocell/dp/B002P6EQPW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355885538&sr=8-1&keywords=Mr.+Beam

Does it have to be IR light? I bought a 3200 for my driveway for a few reasons - A) it's good looking/very-small (no HOA issues), B) high resolution vs. cost. The areahas minimal (porch) lighting. I then bought a "Mr. Beam" CREE LED Motion-Activated spotlight off of Amazon for $18. It's basically a high-powered flashlight with large batteries. Works excellent. Unless you're expecting ninja's that don't set off motion sensors, it might serve your purpose.

The Mr.Beam runs on 4.5v (3 "D" Batteries) and mounts to the wall. I jerry-rigged mine with a 4v relay and power adapter so that it will run off of house mains via the 4.5v AC Adapter, once that loses power the relay will trip (go to off) and switch to the batteries. The batteries supposedly last about 8-12months.

If you wanted to get really creative, you could tap into the POE power (depending your POE output) and voltage regulate the 12v down to 4.5v for the LED.

*edit* There's a few of them sold by Amazon now, I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Beams-Wireless-Spotlight-Photocell/dp/B002P6EQPW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355885538&sr=8-1&keywords=Mr.+Beam

I'm considering this camera for my home after a break in. I will be activating PIR triggered floodlighting front and back. I was thinking this camera would therefore be suitable, however some very helpful members have pointed out two possible issues with is:

1) At night when the PIR lighting is off, the sensor may pick up random artefacts due to lack of light which would trigger the motion detection randomly.

2) Dahua cameras they have experience with take some time to adjust to changes in lighting (the floodlights triggering). As a result the first 6-10 seconds of images may be washed out until the camera correctly adjusts the exposure settings.

Here's a link to my thread for more info:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=33982

Do you experience any of these issues with this camera? Also does it have an external alarm trigger as that may allow me to overcome issue 1 (I could use PIR triggered motion detection).

Would really appreciate the benefit of your experience with this model.