madmandare

HELP NEEDED - Connection a 7" LCD to a CCTV camera

Hello there,

I need help with something, and i was hoping that someone would be able to give me some advice.

I am trying to connect one of my CCTV cameras with the standard Red and Yellow video and power connections to a 7" LCD monitor that is meant to be used in a car. The LCD has a yellow video input which easily connects to the yellow video output of the cctv, however i am having issues with the power connections.

Here is a link to a the LCD monitor that i am using, including a diagram of the wires involved:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-7-TFT-LCD-Digital-Color-Screen-Monitor-for-Car-Rear-View-CCTV-Camera-/120938005047?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item1c28778237

I have a splitter cable and have split the 12v DC power cable running to the cctv, so that one goes to the cctv and one goes to the LCD (the cctv works fine with this), i have then striped off the end of the power connection from the lcd, to expose the red/black positive and negative cables, and there is also red/black positive and a negative cables for the LCD also. The LCD is 12v and 6w DC and the cctv is 12v DC also. I have connected red to red and black to black and the other way around and i just cannot get any power to the LCD.

Does anyone have any ideas?, am i missing something completely, and this isn't going to work?

Thanks for your help,

Marcus

Edited by Guest

Why in the world would you think the camera would power the LCD or vica verca??????

Sorry i missed out a piece of information. Obviously i dont think that the cctv would power the lcd. I have a splitter cable and i have split the power cable that connects to the cctv so that it will connect to both the cctv and the lcd (the cctv is working fine on this adapter, but the lcd is not).

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_112982_1.jpg

Regards

Marcus

It's possible that the monitor isn't being totally accurate when it says that it runs on 12v DC. Car stuff actually doesn't run on 12.000 volts DC. It commonly runs on 14.4v (give or take) when the alternator is running and either high 12.something volts or low 13.something volts when it is turned off. By the time the battery is flat (getting near 12.0 volts or, worse, dropping below that) many things stop working properly.

You also said that you connected red to red and black to black and the other way around. If you did that first and you really DID have power there then that could be your problem.

I'd try and power the monitor from a car (or a DC power source close to 14v) if you aren't currently doing so to verify that the monitor is still working. If it is, and your multimeter shows power coming from the connector you are using (shared with the camera), is the cam plugged into the right video input on the monitor? That one has two and is switched via the blue wire. What happens if you touch the blue wire to your DC+? You might not get video, but you might see a flash or flicker when it's trying to change inputs to show that it is alive.

If it's a low voltage issue with the monitor then maybe it and the cam would both run on a higher voltage adapter, say 13v? Check with the manufacturer or supplier of the cam first though. Don't blame me for blowing it up, but I suspect it'll work fine at a bit above 12.0v. Some stuff that runs on "12v" is extremely tolerant of different voltages and some stuff isn't.