Sign in to follow this  
Yawnder

Qvis Avalon

Anyone have experience with these? Qvis DVRs seem to have a good rep around here (I think they're made by Dahua) but the Avalon is what looks to be their cheapest model (they're selling on Amazon for a little over $200 w/ a 500GB HDD included) so I wanted to make sure.

Anyone have experience with these? Qvis DVRs seem to have a good rep around here (I think they're made by Dahua) but the Avalon is what looks to be their cheapest model (they're selling on Amazon for a little over $200 w/ a 500GB HDD included) so I wanted to make sure.

As a cheap budget system Avalon are a good reliable unit with rather poor display performance, but don't expect after sales support. The distribution network are mostly technically untrained raiders, i.e. they have no interest in after sales support just the few £ $ they mark up to get your money, then they are not interested. You cannot approach QVIS or the UK distributor either as they aren't interested in end users technical support. The instruction manual is one of the poorest I've ever seen. I don't know who told you these were made by Dahua I know of no evidence to support that notion and suspect it was a rumor (lie) put about by the raiders.

You might be lucky and find a good reseller, but the price is likely to be higher as after sales support costs money, which is why you can expect little from the raiders.

Here in the UK the distributors have dropped these DVRs from their range as they are causing a lot of disdain (bad feeling) between the distributor and those of their customers that are in the industry to add value, and not just to earn a fast buck at the expense of their unsuspecting customers.

If you must buy cheap end of the market make sure you will get after sales support which is why I advocate buyers od cheap and nasty systems to use Maplin at least they offer superb after sales support even if the stuff they sell are closer to toys than proper equipment. That or budget a few more dollars.