Yawnder

What's your favorite FPS?

I favor the highest- which for my system at home is 30 balanced out with lower fps on other less important channels. But 10 fps is about perfect to me- not as choppy as 5 or lower, still smooth with plenty of frames to get a perfect snapshot, and yet file sizes are smaller. So if I had to choose- 10 fps.

I'm running on 4 fps - more than adequate for general household use as most subjects are fairly slow-moving.

15 on my crappy Lorex DVR. 7 seemed to cause some problems in quality after compression but 7 was fine in terms of smoothness. Anything higher is nicer to watch but is harder on bandwidth and storage.

Can't say I have a favourite anything, to me it's a job and I do it to the best of my capability. If you are asking which fps I use most often, it's 12fps because it's the min requirement but record resolution will determine how many fps very oftem sinxce resolution is an important element and a balance must be found.

Sometimes digital settings in cameras can cause motion blur, in which case lower fps can actually give you better looking frames to choose from for snapshots. To me it's all about the perfect snapshot for ID. You don't ID with picture in motion- you scrub through playback on a subject frame by frame for the best ID frame. To get that perfect frame, the whole chain factors in- the camera, mounting angle, lighting, cable, dvr, resolution settings, and fps. Assuming everything prior to fps is right, the only thing to consider is how many fps you're willing to settle on. The more you have, the better the chance one of those frames will catch a perfect ID shot. From 1-30, the choice is yours. I like 30 for smooth playback and of course wide open choices for a good ID frame. But 10 is generally plenty.

SInce most of my work is with Mobotix stuff, I have to play with the exposure settings first to reduce blur on most cameras. I would say the fps I use most often is 12 or 16. Anything over that is just a waste in most cases.

Sometimes digital settings in cameras can cause motion blur, in which case lower fps can actually give you better looking frames to choose from for snapshots. To me it's all about the perfect snapshot for ID. You don't ID with picture in motion- you scrub through playback on a subject frame by frame for the best ID frame. To get that perfect frame, the whole chain factors in- the camera, mounting angle, lighting, cable, dvr, resolution settings, and fps. Assuming everything prior to fps is right, the only thing to consider is how many fps you're willing to settle on. The more you have, the better the chance one of those frames will catch a perfect ID shot. From 1-30, the choice is yours. I like 30 for smooth playback and of course wide open choices for a good ID frame. But 10 is generally plenty.

anything about 13 fps will give a smooth playback. Motion blur is caused by frame stacking which is used by poor quality cameras to overcome low light deficiencies