sequoia

Migration strategy to IP-- what to do?

I currently have 3 separate analog DVR/camera installations in 3 separate locations-- one commercial, two residential. 14 cameras in one location, 8 in another, and 4 in the other. I want to migrate all of it, over time, to IP.

When I am done with the changeover I want a quality system with good cameras, good software, and reasonable compatibility between all components. My typical uses are to record activity at each location, view the locations on demand throughout the day, and do a morning review of all "overnight" activity that was identified based on motion or sensor.

My budget is to spend what I need to, without getting outrageous on camera and system costs. If I can obtain all my needed equipment and have it average out to about $1,000/camera I am comfortable with that.

I am trying to figure out what "standard" to employ regarding my future purchasing, or whether it would be better to forgo any such self-imposed standard and just mix/match equipment to best suit each individual need. For example, I could standardize on Axis cameras and Avigilon CMS, which seems a safe route, but I am unsure if this is truly needed or is truly desirable. What are your thoughts?

Finally, if you use the Axis/Avigilon as one possible standard, what are other combinations that should be considered as alternatives? There are so many camera and software possibilities that I find it difficult to come to my own consensus on what to do, yet I do want to get started.

I have a 16 Ch 3xLogic hybrid which allows me to slowly migrate to all IP over time. I got the system in April along with 1 3xLogic MP cam and 2 Vivoteks with no problems at all. In fact the Vigil system from 3x supports a whole list of IP cams.

Other posters on here will support products they have used so this is just my opinion; gather up all the information, ask questions and you will get the best equipment for your budget.

Well, it can be tough to get a true standard, but you are small enough that it may be possible. In my case I started and took over a system that was running 4 separate main DVR systems with 3-4 oddballs tossed in for good measure. It was a mess.

In the end I was able to get us standardized on DVRs, with Exacq in our case, and sort of standard on cameras. The DVRs being standard is a huge help so I now have to open a single Exacq client and I can see all 44 of my separate DVRs at all my remote locations, and see all my cameras, recordings, and change 90% of my settings without ever being at the locations.

Cameras was much harder to get to a true standard for me anyway. We are pretty standard on ACTi with some Vivotek tossed in here and there. Depends on locations and in some cases I could not really find all my options in one brand easily. With ACTi I'm using boxes, indoor domes, indoor hemispheric, and bullets. In some cases Vivotek had better options for me at a specific location so I have used bullets, outdoor and indoor domes from them. ACTi is 85% at least though.

I'm still upgrading, in the end there will be 75+ locations and say 800ish cameras. Some locations have 24 cameras and some have as few as two. I'll be done with all existing locations this coming year.

Moving to a standard with the DVR at least is huge, others will have better options for you I'm sure. In my case existing locations with 8-16 or more analog cameras got hybrid DVRs so we did not have to recable and replace all the cameras. New locations are IP only if at all possible and I just make the computer and install the DVR software and purchase the licenses. Small existing locations with say 4 cameras get moved to IP right off as I can buy the cameras, licenses, cable and build my DVR for less than buying a hybrid DVR.

I agree that you have to look at all the options and try as much as you can. I tried software from 13-14 vendors and got test hardware from 4-5 before we made a decision. Took several months of testing before we found the best fit for us.

EDIT - I just added up my rough total costs per channel for a 24 camera system, 8 being IP and 16 analog and I'm less than half of your target cost so it is doable at your budget for sure.

One of my areas of discomfort is the channel strategy by Avigilon. I recognize they have a quality product, and wish to protect it. But after researching it and getting a camera / software quote, I still don't understand how their licensing works. That is *way* uncomfortable when you are considering making something a standard to follow for months and years to come.

Can anyone help me understand their "per camera" license? If it doesn't restrict by camera MAC address, how does the "per camera" work?

Avigilon does NOT license to the MAC address of the cameras like Milestone and others do. They license for the number of devices just like Exacq does BUT unlike Exacq they do not have ANY recurring yearly fees.

It is very simple. If you want connect 4 cameras you need 4 cameras licenses. If you want to add 4 more cameras you simply add 4 more licenses to the system for a total of 8 devices. A device is a camera or encoder. Software that licenses to the MAC address of the device you MUST contact the VMS manufacture every time you want to change cameras. Avigilon does NOT do this.

Avigilon does NOT license to the MAC address of the cameras like Milestone and others do. They license for the number of devices just like Exacq does BUT unlike Exacq they do not have ANY recurring yearly fees.

It is very simple. If you want connect 4 cameras you need 4 cameras licenses. If you want to add 4 more cameras you simply add 4 more licenses to the system for a total of 8 devices. A device is a camera or encoder. Software that licenses to the MAC address of the device you MUST contact the VMS manufacture every time you want to change cameras. Avigilon does NOT do this.

i think most nvrs do it this way... i know 3xlogic does (they also charge significantly less for camera licenses when you buy the cameras from them). i believe geovision does as well (and you pay no extra license fees per geovision-branded camera).

Just like Wireguys said it's one license one camera. If you have 4 licenses and 4 cameras and you decide to change a camera no problem. Disconnect one camera and connect the other. No phone calls no nothing.

The cool thing is if you use a Avigilon 4 channel encoder it only requires one license.

In My opinion Avigilon cameras are significantly less expensive than Axis so I don't know why I would do a Avigilon/Axis combo unless I already had the cameras.

There are 3 different levels of Avigilon Licensing.

Core

Standard

Enterprise

Here is the difference.

http://avigilon.com/#/products/avigilon-control-center/editions/