0cean23

Highest quality DVR 8 channel system?

Current I have a 4 channel DVR system which I am looking to upgrade to an 8 channel DVR system. I am looking for higher quality video. This forum recommends Dahua brand DVR and cameras. Are all Qsee Dahua brand hardware inside? What are you recommendations on this Qsee unit from Costco?

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-Security-System-with-1TB-HD%2c-7-Bullet-Cameras%2c-1-PTZ-Camera.product.11762124.html

neither of these are even in the same area code as "highest quality"... however, of the two, the specs on the swann are better than the q-see. that doesn't necessarily make it better overall...

Current I have a 4 channel DVR system which I am looking to upgrade to an 8 channel DVR system. I am looking for higher quality video. This forum recommends Dahua brand DVR and cameras. Are all Qsee Dahua brand hardware inside?

I doubt all QSee product is Dahua. Also, not everyone on the forum recommends Dahua product. The ones who do are pretty vocal about it though.

Dahua has some quality control problems and major support issues. Best bang for the buck on low-end IP stuff that I've seen though, especially if outdoor nighttime performance is important. Add a few features, better software, and some factory support? Look out.

I'd be interested in hearing a good solid recommendation for an 8ch full D1 analog DVR that has saved video almost as good as live for a reasonable enough price that makes it attractive versus low-end IP. If saved video is always considerably worse than live, then what is the argument against cheap IP if most recent computers and a $50 software package will run them quite nicely?

I haven't seen anybody absolutely in love with the saved video quality of their analog DVRs in anything even close to a "budget" model.

Which DVR 8 channel system would you recommend? All of my personal computers are Mac / Apple. I need a good DVR that is Apple, iphone, ipad compatible where I can view it from anywhere.

If there were no such thing as Dahua IP cams readily available for $170 ($135 or less if you look around), I'd recommend this- http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/Geovision-DVR-Card-p/gv-900-8.htm

I find it hard to justify the cost just to be able to use analog cams though. If someone mostly wants the live view or wishes to record known employees, then any old cheap D1 analog dvr with $75-$250 cams will do. If someone wants to spend $600 on an analog card in addition to a computer to have relatively good saved video quality, why not spend the $600 on 4 IP cams to use with the same computer? Better video quality under many (most?) circumstances than comparably priced analog cams live OR saved, and you have a 4 camera headstart on your system?

I'm ignorant of Apple applications besides Geovision's spec sheet. I've never looked into using Dahua stuff on Apples. I'm Android and Microsoft oriented.

I'd be interested in hearing a good solid recommendation for an 8ch full D1 analog DVR that has saved video almost as good as live for a reasonable enough price that makes it attractive versus low-end IP.

I agree, that's the biggest drawback to all the current budget D1 DVRs, the live quality is so much better than the recorded. After reading the specs on the video encoder, I'm inclined to believe it is something to do with the implementation. It seems they are using a single 240fps encoder and slicing it up among cameras. I wonder if its able to do true motion detection for compression sake when every frame the encoder sees is completely different.

Value wise would say duhua.

8ch NVR 120fps at 1080p full resolution means 15fps recording rate on all 8 ch at 1080p

30fps on all 8ch at 720p.

And brand new from a china source at $200... Cant beat it imho.

Duhua 2mp ip 1080p cams for $250 from the same source... Cant beat it imho.

True with some software modifications and better support they would be awesome.

For basic residential use, I dont need more.

Value wise would say duhua.

8ch NVR 120fps at 1080p full resolution means 15fps recording rate on all 8 ch at 1080p

30fps on all 8ch at 720p.

And brand new from a china source at $200... Cant beat it imho.

Duhua 2mp ip 1080p cams for $250 from the same source... Cant beat it imho.

True with some software modifications and better support they would be awesome.

For basic residential use, I dont need more.

I'd agree. For all their shortcomings, it's impossible to beat Dahua IP cams for budget performance. They're pretty much re-defined the lower-mid-level 1-3MP market that Vivotek used to be the leader of.

I can't see why anyone would buy an analog system now unless absolute rock-bottom price was critical. The $150-180 Dahua 2100 series IR bullet is a huge improvement over any consumer grade analog camera, IMO.

I can't see why anyone would buy an analog system now unless absolute rock-bottom price was critical. The $150-180 Dahua 2100 series IR bullet is a huge improvement over any consumer grade analog camera, IMO.

low light performance is one reason. i can get the dahua 2mp minidomes for the same price as a cnb vcm-24vf... but some locations are low or difficult lighting. one recent install is a good example: in some areas i used the mini-domes because i know there will be good lighting, but in other areas i stuck with the cnbs because i knew the dahuas won't handle the lack of lighting.

I'd split the difference between Groucho and Max. The 2100 bullet is much better in the dark than the CNB VCM-24VF though. No lighting on the CNB but the 2100 bullet has IR. If you want external lighting (always a good thing if you have the room and budget), the CNB works nicely with IR illuminators but the Dahua minidome needs white light, which means if you want motion recording you need lots of always-on white light.

Dahua still doesn't have a cheap product that works nicely at night without always-on built-in IR. That's not my favourite solution for outdoor motion detection. They're getting closer with this one that was just released but I haven't seen any sample video yet- http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hdb32003202-219.html