hey_moe

Hard Drive?

I am getting ready to replace my cheap-o-la DVR with a better one and I was wonder what size hard drive some of you homeowners use. I have a 8 camera system. Also is it better to go to a large HD or a small one ...thanks , Mike

With 4 cams running on motion detection and the quality cranked up high on my D1 8ch analog dvr the 500gb drive lasts a loooong time. Months. That said, the price difference between a 500 and 1.0 or 1.5 isn't that much. Your new DVR might save better quality and larger files than mine as well. Depends also on if you're putting it in your home and only need maybe a couple of weeks back for vandal protection if you go on vacation or whatever.

its always a good idea to check first what the max GB the dvr will support and if you buying decent brand the mfg will also suggest which HDD models they tested.

I had a 1TB hd installed, and at Full D1 with 4 cameras at 7.5 fps I got a week of full 24/7 recording before it would start to overright itself...

I'll be installing a 2TB when I get my NVR. Problem is, the higher the TB the higher percentage of Hard drives fail statistically.