gillyd88

Cable for Internet connection

I'm wanting to connect my Dvr to my Internet connection.

Problem I have is that my Dvr is in my loft and my router is in the living room on the ground floor. I have already bought a wireless adapter for the back of the Dvr and this works however the signal is not the best as it is in my loft and keeps dropping out. I'm aware I can buy a wireless extender and see if that works but I'm wondering if anyone will know if the following option would work?

I have a coax cable that runs from the tv aerial in the loft to the tv in the living room. The router is behind the tv. Is there adapters I can purchase in order to turn the coax cable into a Ethernet cable to save me from having to drill and have a Ethernet cable running down the outside of my house. Don't know if this is possible as is just a thought but wondered if anyone knows if it will? And if it does what adapters do I need?

Cheers

this is possible, such adapters do exist, but i'd suggest 'homeplug' adapters instead, that run ethernet over your power lines. they come as two modules; just plug them into an outlet at both ends and plug the network in.

http://dx.com/s/powerline+ethernet for example

+1

as matt says this is your best option. and can be done at little cost. go for a brand name like netgear or BT

I see the OP has already bought something but wanted to bring it up as this may be a cheap solution for people in the future and should work better than power line products. Search out DECA which is what Directv uses to put your system onto the internet at your house. There are a few different deca adapters but the best one will probably be the one they refer to as "broadband deca" (p/n: DECABB1R0) because it uses a simpler wall wart power supply. This is a small device that looks like a cable modem and all it does is use a large block of frequency that puts the network onto the cable line. Now this product will not work if you are trying to simultaneously use cable tv or off air signal as it uses frequencies that will be in conflict (in those cases you want a product called MOCA but is way more expensive). Now you could use it while that same cable was using Directv SWM technology.

There are many of these available at the best price on ebay as a lot of these that ended up not being needed for installs go on there for 50-75% off retail. You will need a pair of them in most cases but it would be possible to just use one at your router if for example you were going to re-purpose multiple coax lines.

Here is an example:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=decabb1r0&d=directv-cinema-connection-kit-%28decabb1r0%29

A search on Newegg of "powerline networking" shows these devices have come way down in price. You can now get a PAIR (Tenda P200) of adapters for $30.00 w/ free shipping. I've used other brands with great success. They're fast and easy to install.

I'm wanting to connect my Dvr to my Internet connection.

Problem I have is that my Dvr is in my loft and my router is in the living room on the ground floor. I have already bought a wireless adapter for the back of the Dvr and this works however the signal is not the best as it is in my loft and keeps dropping out. I'm aware I can buy a wireless extender and see if that works but I'm wondering if anyone will know if the following option would work?

I have a coax cable that runs from the tv aerial in the loft to the tv in the living room. The router is behind the tv. Is there adapters I can purchase in order to turn the coax cable into a Ethernet cable to save me from having to drill and have a Ethernet cable running down the outside of my house. Don't know if this is possible as is just a thought but wondered if anyone knows if it will? And if it does what adapters do I need?

Cheers

You do can use the Coax Cable to transmit the Ethernet Signal, by using our IP02, you can easy get 100Mbps Rate

http://www.foresight-cctv.com/IP%20Camera%20Cabling%20Solution.htm