Sign in to follow this  
Tomislav

Sensor type and night surveillance

Dear All, I am in the process of giving technical input regarding the ip camera types and would like to hear your opinion regarding few things.

When choosing sensor type ( 1MP) which one is best for night surveillance. 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 etc... The cameras would be installed along the long fence. There are light pools so in my opinion I would not use IR?. The lights are not strong but sufficient.

Also in the past I had cameras with 0.5 lux but the picture was really bad during the night. Which lux level should I consider and what type of additional functions should CMOS chip have. I am planning to put in progressive scan for all the cameras since it will be used to track cars.

Any help is much appreciated.

Tomislav

The larger the sensor the better the image. So 1/3 would be better than 1/4....

The Lower the lux the better it can see at night... So .01 would be better than .1

bigger sensor means more light captured (in general) -- even with pools of visible light you may still need some IR to help even out the darker spots.. Consider using external IR as they can be remotely mounted and may not attract as many bugs as the built-in units sometimes do.. I use some of the Raytec Vario I2's and they work GREAT but are not cheap -- it boils down to that old adage -- you get what you pay for!

bigger sensor means more light captured (in general) -- even with pools of visible light you may still need some IR to help even out the darker spots.. Consider using external IR as they can be remotely mounted and may not attract as many bugs as the built-in units sometimes do.. I use some of the Raytec Vario I2's and they work GREAT but are not cheap -- it boils down to that old adage -- you get what you pay for!

Thanks,i will try to get the input down. For the sensor i know the tech details but so many times it failed me when it comes to implementation.