Thomas

Or why wireless can be bad.

These are difficult choices, Tom. Many people deploy non-enterprise unprotected wireless solutions for the obvious reasons that they save installation $. They only find out that the performance decreases and/or complications arise when adequate security is deployed over these networks.

I really believe it will get better soon, but resellers need to stop looking at all-in-one compromised WiFi solutions in lieu of more robust and not-that-more-expensive external WiFi bridges and servers.

I regularly read a publication that periodically lists all the default SSIDs for new routers; I find it equally amazing that most people have their defaults enabled and allow free access to their network and protect the PCs themselves.

If anyone wants to learn how to cost effectively secure a network, speak to the IT admins at large universities. They must permit access, but still protect their network from all sorts of attacks and snoopers. The newer security software actually permits more instrusions, but monitors their behaviour. Interesting article.

I wasn't refering to Wi-fi based systems, I was refering the wireless cameras. And as it stands right now, consumer grade wireless systems simply can not be made secure. There are too many issues in the designs of wireless security right now.