funone

Can this be done? (cctv over ethernet cable)

Hi,

I have 2 analog cctv cameras that I would need to install in my garage. As it happens I already have an subterranean ethernet cable going to the garage. The dvr would be in my house (30 meters away).

How would I get the 2 cctv analog cameras connected to the dvr over the single ethernet cable) The ethernet cable is used for obtaining temperature and humidity in my garage and will be at least be used for this in the future too.

What I was planning was to increase the available ethernet ports through a simple switch. Then use some 4-1 videoserver to get the camera signals to my house by the existing ethernet cable.

Can this be done?

Unless I am thinking too simply here all you would need is a balun at each end. As long as you have 2 pairs (one for each camera) you will be good to go. You may have to power the cameras locally though since, it seems, you have other devices connected to the Cat5. Cat5 can support up to 4 cameras on a single run asl long as they are powered from another wire. If all you have is the two cameras the other 2 pairs on the wire can be used for power.

Here are some products that may help:

http://www.securitystoreusa.com/Passive-Video-Balun-p/ev04p-vps.htm

This is for up to 4 cameras over one cat 5 back to the DVR

http://www.securitystoreusa.com/Passive-Video-Balun-p/ev01p-vp.htm

These are individual baluns that have power capability, if needed someday

Oh, so the baluns recognize it's pair even if there are more than one in the same ethernet cable (through a switch at both ends)?

No switches needed. Each pair from the cable goes to each camera. In your case you would use one balun (from the second link I sent) at the camera and another at the DVR end. Place that same pair used at the camera into the balun at the DVR and plug it into that. Keep in mind this does split up the Cat5 so you would not be able to use it for an ethernet (RJ45) connection. In other words, since you have analog cams and Cat5 already installed you would have to use the baluns unless you run another wire (if needed for networking in the garage). But, yes, at that distance you should have no problem sending the video signal through the balun and down the Cat5.

The first link is a choice if you want to add cameras later. Basically up to 4 cams will go onto single baluns, run down the Cat5 to the head unit (connect via RJ45) then use bnc jumper cables to the DVR. This is a better diagram:

http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev04p-vps.htm

Sorry, mu native language is swedish so I explain badly. so I made an illustration. Is this possible?

diagrammet.gif.cc9e76c974bccb9fe4a73f26de94850c.gif

You'll need a pair of wires for each camera. There is no way to increase this with analog cameras. If you go IP you can install a switch.

hi. another way would be to use your existing cat5 with baluns for just your cameras and use netgear over power for your temp control gear

208924_1.jpg

If the device in the garage is like a regular network device then it should only be using 2 of the 4 pairs available in cat5. If its not network but it uses 4 of the 8 wires or less you are good to go. Should be able to strip out the blue and brown pairs from the jacket and leave green/orange alone. In theory you could reconnect the blue and brown pairs into a cat5 jack (blue into green, brown into orange) and use a network device as needed too.

Since your length of cat5 is short you should be able to use simple cheap baluns like these: http://gemelec.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=232&category_id=40&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

This means you would have to power the cameras from the garage side because you will have no extra pairs left like in the case of POE or using baluns and unused pairs for power.

I get the electricity from the garage so only the signal is to be transferred over the one ethernet cable.

No luck with a 4 Channel Passive Video Balun Transceiver like: http://www.amazon.com/Gino-Channel-Passive-Video-Transceiver/dp/B001WANGQM ?

Are you sure the cable you are using is a "straight" cable, in other words the individual strands on each end match each other? You do have 2 of the baluns you linked to can you try with a temporary short piece of known good cat5 cable and take a test monitor out to the garage with you to make sure there is nothing wrong with the baluns or the coax cables you are using on both ends with this setup.

hi all

its is very true that the balm can take care cameras power over Ethernet myself run it.my system is 4 bnc connectors the Ethernet then this goes 200 ft away to a Ethernet to 4 bnc connectors from there i power wth bnc to Ethernet and head out in 6 different directions farthest is 300 feet from there.So my longest is 500 ft away.i did just purchase 100ft Ethernet cable that has power plugs on both ends so should be here this week hopefully all runs good.I use mine for watching deer raccoon's foxes around my house.i enjoy this though has been a learn as i go experience and very rewarding but hair pulling frustration lol.