kandcorp

CPU Usage and System Resources

Among all of the DVR Card Manufacturers, who from your personal opinions/experiences uses the least CPU and Systems Resources. Please list DVR card model, Computer Configuration and anything else that would be helpful.

Here is an example of one of our cards on a pentium 2.0 Ghz/256MB DDR Ram/MSI 865pe-V MOBO/Win2000 Sp4. System was Webcam enabled, remote access, and recording. CPU usage was at 30%.

27785_1.jpg

Among all of the DVR Card Manufacturers, who from your personal opinions/experiences uses the least CPU and Systems Resources. Please list DVR card model, Computer Configuration and anything else that would be helpful.

Here is an example of one of our cards on a pentium 2.0 Ghz/256MB DDR Ram/MSI 865pe-V MOBO/Win2000 Sp4. System was Webcam enabled, remote access, and recording. CPU usage was at 30%.

Hello there. I am sorry, but I am not here to offer data for your study, but a recommendation. CPU usage is not the only measure in a comprehensive performance test! Some other points of measurement can include:

1. # clients logged on, and at what viewing/playback resolution

2. Recording resolution/settings/compression/image rate

3. Are all channels being recorded continuously or by motion, and then, 4. what is the avg % motion on those event-driven channels

4. What happens when a motion-based search is performed?

5. What happens to the CPU usage when higher resolution cameras are used, or cameras without an adequate sync signal

There are a number of manufacturers that perform these detailed tests, for their own use in guiding where the product should be used. They will typically not release all this data publicly, since it could be the subject of misinterpretaion without some information on the test criteria itself. I hope this helps you in your future testing!

Also:

1) What services are running in addition to the software?

2) What other programs are loaded and using CPU?

3) How many total threads?

4) How many processes?

5) Are you using a swap file?

You would really need to create some type of standard test bench that would be used for each package to be tested. So the results are based on the performance what your trying to measure.

nice idea but I wonder how well it will work if the tester is biased.

Maybe a nice "thing" to have is a upload site where we can upload pics to so that the forum has a collection of pics, systems, ect.? I'm not into FTP'n my stuff out because it makes my site(s) a target. I'd show more if I had a safe place to upload and call from.

I added more software and 2 more cameras after you were done, bad Jasper.

Put Skype, No-IP. APC UPS software on their.

With CenterV, WebCam, TCPIP running and remote playback sever it is running at 25% now. I don't think I had all the services running when we did the test?

The cameras are set on motion detect also so it would be higher if some encoding was going on.

I knew it wasn’t going to stay at 11% for long. I’m happy though, still got 75% left.

yeah all the Geo services were running.

also skype doesnt affect it unless you are using it, talking etc.

the others i guess maybe the UPS thing ..

what about the other software you said you put on also

I did get inspired to remove all the software on my own computer that was dramatically slowing down the system and it loads way faster.

I just have to research the ton of services I have running and see which one I can do without to bring down the CPU usage some more.

It’s running between 4-6% with 70 processes on my 2.53Ghz Dell with 1 GB memory, no swap file.

Geo-server

I wonder if adding the two cameras made that much difference. I added router software also, but that is nothing.

I did get inspired to remove all the software on my own computer that was dramatically slowing down the system and it loads way faster.

I just have to research the ton of services I have running and see which one I can do without to bring down the CPU usage some more.

It’s running between 4-6% with 70 processes on my 2.53Ghz Dell with 1 GB memory, no swap file.

Geo-server

I wonder if adding the two cameras made that much difference. I added router software also, but that is nothing.

Why no swap file?

I did that already; I use Acronis True-Image and image the disk at least once a week.

4-6% isn't bad though, I have my email open, IE with Maxthon(adds tabs to the browser) equivalent of 6 browsers open, PowerDVD on Pause with a movie and Centerv running.

I guess I can take my time researching the services. Believe me, it is running a whole lot faster.

It was around 80 processes before and that was without any programs loaded.

If feels like a new computer.

well ive got Center2, Firefox, and Nortons systemworks running, 0-2%

Not streaming video now though ..

As for imaging the disk, your just copying all that stuff you want to get rid of when you reformat

I don’t plan on reformatting. A reinstall of windows is really the only way to truly clean the system though.

As I have slimmed down the system I have made a backup of the boot partition which I can use to restore an individual file or the entire partition if I need to.

It’s just the best way to back up the system. It is especially handy if I do need to put the system right back to the way it was if I screw up while tweaking the system. Windows Restore doesn’t work properly. I always disable this so called feature.

It’s helpful if that’s all you got, but if you have disk imaging software, you can’t beat it.

I am suprised you running norton systemworks and getting 2% because that program is a resource hog.

This is a list of services I turn off by default on all DVRs, and my PC.

--------------------------------------------------

Computer Browser (unless network for browsing other computers)

Error Reporting Service

Fast User Switching

Help & Support

Indexing Service

Messenger

Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

Remote Access Connection Manager

Remote Desktop Help Session Manager

Remote Registry

Routing and Remote Access

Security Accounts Manager

Security Center

System Restore Service

Themes

Universal Plug and Play Host

Wireless Zero Configuration (unless you use wireless)

------------------------------------------

Also:

-Classic Windows Folders

-Classic Start Menu

-Personalized Menu off

-Group Similar Buttons off

-Hide Inactive Buttons off

-Remote Assistance off

-Windows Classic Theme

-No Screen Saver

-Turn off all Graphic Effects (use Tweakui)

-Performance on high setting

-Automatic Updates off

-MSN Messenger Uninstall & Disable

-Interner Explorer Uninstall & Disable & High Secu Setting, Cookies Disabled, & Content Advisor Enabled (then cant browse the web)

-TCP Port Filtering

Also for DVRs

-No games

-No Outlook Express

-No Antivirus

-No Office

-No All-in-one Printers (just the basic drivers)

-No .Net

-No Java Runtime (unless DVR requires it)

-No Adobe Software

---------------------------------------------

well thats just me

Thanks for the list.

I will review it and make sure that I have everything done like that.

I don’t’ know about IE though. I guess your just preventing easy access, but I couldn’t find where in the control panel I could enter a Domain name to access the internet if I did remove IE access?

I don’t plan on reformatting. A reinstall of windows is really the only way to truly clean the system though.

As I have slimmed down the system I have made a backup of the boot partition which I can use to restore an individual file or the entire partition if I need to.

It’s just the best way to back up the system. It is especially handy if I do need to put the system right back to the way it was if I screw up while tweaking the system. Windows Restore doesn’t work properly. I always disable this so called feature.

It’s helpful if that’s all you got, but if you have disk imaging software, you can’t beat it.

I am suprised you running norton systemworks and getting 2% because that program is a resource hog.

I have 2 partitions, everything is stored on the second partition, and i back up to CD or Online frequently, other crap I dont need I just delete. So all i have to do is reformat and reload software, all data stays there.

I format at least every month.

Thanks for the list.

I will review it and make sure that I have everything done like that.

I don’t’ know about IE though. I guess your just preventing easy access, but I couldn’t find where in the control panel I could enter a Domain name to access the internet if I did remove IE access?

You can open control panel, make sure the address location is showing, if not go to "View, toolbars, Address Bar", and also unlock it if it is locked to drag it to normal. I use both IE and FireFox, but only IE for testing activeX Video. If you have MSN messenger you will need to keep IE enabled though, thats why MSN messenger just sucks big time, along with all the other holes it has.

I would love to reinstall windows, but that is a major under taking.

You have to reload all your software, locate all the updates for the software.

You have to reinstall all the service packs, updates, etc.

More importantly to me though is it takes me quite a while to redo all my customized settings that I lose.

There has to be an easier way.

Yeah I hate messenger too.

I can’t believe I didn’t realize you could put a web address in the address bar of a folder view. I always see the drive letter there, but it never occurred to me that I could put a web address in there.

Learn something new everyday.

You can never get rid of Internet Explorer [edit - thomas showed us how], Windows is Explorer.exe, since windows 98.

Takes 2-4 hours with all the updates to load windows, all my software is on the second drive, as is any drivers. Once you do a fresh install, before you dirty it up, you can always create a restore CD.

Edited by Guest

But your Registry is on the boot drive so I don't see how that could work efectively unless you are running software that doesn't install itself into the registry.

I wish.

Hmmm, I meant all the set up programs are on my hard drive, so no CDs needed.

PS. my software i wrote doesnt use the registry, whats the point, its easy to hack anyway ..

I wish all the Windows Software was written that way.

That's what I really miss about DOS, you could delete a program and it was gone.

Now you can't get rid of them. They say they uninstall, but I always find files and registry entries from stuff that doesn't really remove itself.

So over a period of time your Windows directory gets huge with all the DLL's you don't need anymore, not to mention all the other crap that contributes to the system running slower and decreases stability.