Baje

DVR FTP function

Hey Guys,

I have a client with a rayvision dvr setup. He has a problem of the 1 or 2 times his business has been broken into the thief stole the dvr as well. He has asked me to setup a remote backup which i have done via the FTP feature which works. My problem is that it is too slow (at least 1 1/2 hrs) so it would never get the chance to backup the act in progress.

Does anyone know of a solution? Or another DVR brand which would do this better? Or basically any solution?

Thanks alot

First is to install the DVR in a hard to reach location and in a fortified box (with appropriate cooling). It doesn't have to be extreme, but something that will make them move on rather than spend the time breaking in while law enforcement is on the way.

Not sure of the particular unit, but many have RTSP streaming available and you can use a second computer to record those.

Hiding and armouring the dvr is good. Some have options to send emails with snapshots when motion is detected during definable hours. For an active business the emails would pile up if it did that during business hours though. Also, some IP cameras have internal SD card storage so they would have to take the cameras too. Replacing cams, dvr, and wiring for IP might be more than they want to spend, though.

We have done some installs with 2 DVRs on the same place. A hidden NAS somewhere on the local network should also do the trick. I think it is way easier and cheaper on the long term than having to keep remote backups.

The real/good one hidden, and another crappy/cheap DVR in plain sight. In the event of a break in, normal behaviour is to steal the DVR as soon as it is found, and they will not think that there is a second DVR recording everything somewhere else (that is what happened the only time there was a break in on a customer with 2 DVR setup, once they found the "bait" DVR they did not look any more, and meanwhile everything was being recorded on another unit hidden on top of the bathroom's ceiling).