Sign in to follow this  
jajinsky

Need Suggestions for My First Residential CCTV System

Hi everyone! This is my first post (hopefully it's in the right place) and I'm ready to finally get the ball rolling on my first residential CCTV system.

I've already acquired a few camera from my employer as they are upgrading to IP. I've got three Pelco CC3751H-2's in the Pelco EH3512-2 enclosures.

In addition, I went ahead and purchased a LTS PS120V5-D 4-Port PTC power supply. I still haven't decided upon which cable to purchase yet either.

I've already set up an old Dell Dimension 2400 I had lying around with Ubuntu Server 12.04 and ZoneMinder, however I don't have a capture card at this point. I just wanted to get familiar with the interface and its features to see if it was a viable option.

My question is where do I go from here? I'm undecided on whether I want to go with a computer based DVR setup or a standalone DVR. The main features that I would like for this system to have are:

1. Ability to view remotely from either a browser or mobile device.

2. Receive email notification with pictures of any triggered event.

2. Energy efficient.

3. Relatively low cost i.e. less than $500.

Like I said, I'm new to all of this and would just like a little guidance from those with more experience.

IMG_0430-1.jpg.a773679906e3a0458a7575d866af50c7.jpg

IMG_0431-2.jpg.035803ebb593a37bf53ee84098026876.jpg

IMG_0432-3.jpg.b0e3d8a40d1da28abe91744306cb4aa4.jpg

Hi everyone! This is my first post (hopefully it's in the right place) and I'm ready to finally get the ball rolling on my first residential CCTV system.

I've already acquired a few camera from my employer as they are upgrading to IP. I've got three Pelco CC3751H-2's in the Pelco EH3512-2 enclosures.

In addition, I went ahead and purchased a LTS PS120V5-D 4-Port PTC power supply. I still haven't decided upon which cable to purchase yet either.

I've already set up an old Dell Dimension 2400 I had lying around with Ubuntu Server 12.04 and ZoneMinder, however I don't have a capture card at this point. I just wanted to get familiar with the interface and its features to see if it was a viable option.

My question is where do I go from here? I'm undecided on whether I want to go with a computer based DVR setup or a standalone DVR. The main features that I would like for this system to have are:

1. Ability to view remotely from either a browser or mobile device.

2. Receive email notification with pictures of any triggered event.

2. Energy efficient.

3. Relatively low cost i.e. less than $500.

Like I said, I'm new to all of this and would just like a little guidance from those with more experience.

Hello,

Ok first off. I am glad you got these for free. They are pretty outdated but still ok. (480TVL) Good job on the power supply as you can use 12v or 24v on these cameras. I am not sure on the housings though. The computer is a bit old and will only cause you problems with a DVR card. Do yourself a big favor and get a standalone DVR. They are cheap and you won't have to treat it like a used car. They will do everything you need. There are many good ones on the market. You will also want to purchase RG-59 Siamese cable and connectors. I am guessing you do not have tools so get yourself Twist on BnC RG-59 connectors. They are very easy to install. I hope I have helped you

Thank you,

George Boyle

Dallas Wholesale CCTV