Sign in to follow this  
Al Drake

Cat5e Best price and where to purchase?

I have been searching most of the evening for a reasonable price here and Google but the choices are mind boggling. I know I need solid copper but the other specs only confuse me. Most of the cable will be indoors with inches exposed to weather. Are any of you able to post a link to a site where I can purchase about 500' preferably white?

Thanks.

Al

Home Depot sells 500ft spools for $55 and 1000ft for $80 in the store. Its made in USA and real copper. Who knows whats in the other cheapo stuff.

Home Depot sells 500ft spools for $55 and 1000ft for $80 in the store. Its made in USA and real copper. Who knows whats in the other cheapo stuff.

Great. Thanks. I am surprised to see so many different brands with so little actual information about what the cable is made from. I wonder how much of a difference it really makes if you don't use solid copper wire. Maybe the cheap stuff just won't stand up over time and become brittle. It gets cold here in New England and hot in the summer. I already lost one camera that has the O-Ring break.

when you install your connectors make sure you use the correct ones for solid wire. The RJ45 plugs can be for stranded or solid. If you put on jacks you should be ok as they are designed for solid wire. For sure go with solid copper cheap offshore copper clad alum will come back to haunt you.

when you install your connectors make sure you use the correct ones for solid wire. The RJ45 plugs can be for stranded or solid. If you put on jacks you should be ok as they are designed for solid wire. For sure go with solid copper cheap offshore copper clad alum will come back to haunt you.

This wire will be inside from room to room.I don't plan on running it inside the walls and none of it will be exposed to weather. I quess it will be more for convience as now I have seperate cables for each camera and some rooms have more than one. I have them located just outside the windows so I can retreive them for replacement and cleaning. I still plan on getting the solid copper but can't help but wonder what the effects of cheaper stuff would mean. I won't be using RJ45 connectors but will be using balins.

Gino 5Pcs Coax CAT5 To CCTV Coaxial Camera BNC Male Video Balun Connector

http://www.amazon.com/Gino-Coaxial-Camera-Video-Connector/dp/B007Q8KD6U/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A1THAZDOWP300U

If there are better balins I would like to know which ones are best. I have seen so many.

I will be powering each camera in the rooms where they are located unless you think it would be ok to use the cable and have power supplies at the DVR.

I would make a seperate run for each camera as you may want to go to an IP system sometime and the little bit of wore wont make much cost difference. Plus it may make troubleshooting easier.

Hi. baluns you have listed ARE NOT BALUNS dont waste your money

210057_1.jpg

here is a link to true baluns.

http://www.amazon.com/PAIRS-Mini-CCTV-Video-Balun/dp/B00442G9O6/ref=pd_sim_e_5

Thanks. I just placed an order for what you recommended. I'm a bit confused as if I used the ones I had in mind the resulting cable would look like a pre-made run of any other cable with simple BNC connectors. What does the balin do to the cable that makes it different than simply using connectors. On a few cameras I use audio cable and the BNC to audio connector. Will I be getting some loss and when I use the balins will the signal get stronger?

What does the balin do to the cable that makes it different than simply using connectors. On a few cameras I use audio cable and the BNC to audio connector. Will I be getting some loss and when I use the balins will the signal get stronger?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+cctv+balun+works

How Google works..........

Thanks.

Hi. baluns you have listed ARE NOT BALUNS dont waste your money

210057_1.jpg

here is a link to true baluns.

http://www.amazon.com/PAIRS-Mini-CCTV-Video-Balun/dp/B00442G9O6/ref=pd_sim_e_5

ok, so why are these not baluns? They are advertised as baluns and get good reviews so what makes them different than any other balun? Would it make a difference if I used a balun on a camera that has one in it if I didn't know? How do I know if the camera has one or not?

Thanks for any further comments.

Regards.

Al

They aren't real baluns, lots of people have been tricked by those, including me and several other forum members. They are balun like adapaters. A real balun has circuitry inside, those are just a terminal.