manix

Which is Better? Coax? or Cat 5 cable.?

Good day to all,

Im new here and I need some inputs regarding CCTV Configuration and installation.

Which do you prefer Guyz??? pls help me...

manix from Philippines

I don't think there is an all around better. Cat5 is much more flexible in terms of configurations, you can run power, alarm in/outs, and audio/video all at the same time. Coax is more limiting but some argue that it is more immune to interference.

I don't think there is an all around better. Cat5 is much more flexible in terms of configurations, you can run power, alarm in/outs, and audio/video all at the same time. Coax is more limiting but some argue that it is more immune to interference.

whats the Max distance Using Cat 5e ang a good balun... ?? and if so, what would you guyz recommend of the said Good Balun...

I think a lot of people say 100 meters is max recommended but there are people who have gone way over that. I see the Gem baluns recommended frequently as the best, I have some mid priced generics from Amazon and they seem to do ok.

I think a lot of people say 100 meters is max recommended but there are people who have gone way over that. I see the Gem baluns recommended frequently as the best, I have some mid priced generics from Amazon and they seem to do ok.

can they {cat 5e} do good at 500 meters??? im planning to use this method at the ocean resort of my Boss.

Hi Manix. it depends to your budget if you use CAT5 you need to buy the baluns to install it in both ends. and if you use the coaxial cable both ends directly connected to DVR and camera. both are good with the same result. but be sure you install a conduit pipe for cable protection. I am using both in installing CCTV.

Hi Manix. it depends to your budget if you use CAT5 you need to buy the baluns to install it in both ends. and if you use the coaxial cable both ends directly connected to DVR and camera. both are good with the same result. but be sure you install a conduit pipe for cable protection. I am using both in installing CCTV.

thank you sir for sharing your knowledge ...

Good daya and God Bless...

how many dozens of times has this question been asked and answered here?

Write a FAQ or pick a thread with good explanations and get it posted in the FAQ section. Might cut down a bit on the number of requests. At the very least then someone could link them to the FAQ after they ask.