Sign in to follow this  
Chob

pigtail problem > ceiling mounting stucco

Ok here goes, first post and new to CCTV products.

After reading a lot of reviews and tips on this and many others websites I ordered a Dahua IPC-HDBW3300 from China (fyi, I live in Belgium, Europe). Yesterday I received the camera and first impression is good. Looks and feels like a real solid and firm product. It was also the first time I've bought something in China but so far everything looks great and I think I'll be satisfied with the camera as well when it's installed.

But....the mounting is a problem. I want mount the dome at the ceiling but my whole house is in stucco and behind the stucco there is 4cm of isolation and then 30cm of concrete (in Belgium we make houses of concrete not just wood). So to be clear:

30cm concrete

4cm isolation

1cm stucco

When I saw the reviews of the camera I noticed the pigtail on the photos and video but I thought I could remove this and just use the single CAT5E UTP I provided at the ceiling (thats hanging outside of the stucco). I could cut a big hole in the stucco, that is covered by the base of the camera, but that would be stupid. I've built this house 6 months ago and the stucco was very expensive and it would be stupid to damage it.

I've opened the camera but there is no option to remove the pigtail and now I have the following question:

Can I cut all the cables from pigtail besides the PoE cable?

I only need the UTP PoE connection.

209702_1.jpg

If so, than a small hole will do for the PoE cable.

I've already read the advice to use a junction box but that solution is not my preference because it's ugly.

Thanks in advance!

Don't do it. You will lose the warranty on the camera (in case you have any, since you purchased from China), you will lose some options on the camera (in case you ever want to use it somewhere else; or want to resell the camera if you ever upgrade), and some of the cables might shortcircuit and make the camera work erratically or not work at all.

Use a junction box.

Don't do it. You will lose the warranty on the camera (in case you have any, since you purchased from China), you will lose some options on the camera (in case you ever want to use it somewhere else; or want to resell the camera if you ever upgrade), and some of the cables might shortcircuit and make the camera work erratically or not work at all.

Hmmm this is not worth the risk

By the way , what is the stucco attatched to?

To the 4cm isolation, that's about 12" I think. I'm going to look for a mounting base. Does Dahua have any?