Mi2sense

Empire Security or Security Labs

Does anyone have experience with either of these brands and what would one suggest for monitoring a driveway up to approx 70-75'.

I am quite new at all this - have one camera swann swpro-770 and zmodo dvr model H9114 4ch 1tb drive. I just want to add one or two more cameras and I'm leaning towards a varifocal 4-9 mm.

All responses appreciated........

Does anyone have experience with either of these brands and what would one suggest for monitoring a driveway up to approx 70-75'.

I am quite new at all this - have one camera swann swpro-770 and zmodo dvr model H9114 4ch 1tb drive. I just want to add one or two more cameras and I'm leaning towards a varifocal 4-9 mm.

All responses appreciated........

Hello,

If you are trying to see at a distance of 70-75'. Using a 4-9mm CCTV camera, I am not sure you will be pleased with the image result you will get with your current unit. I am going to include a link to Tamron lenses. This is a calculator that will help you figure out what lens you need for the distance, horizontal, and vertical. I hope this helps you.

http://www.tamron-usa.com/cctv/lenscalculator/index.php

Thank you,

George Boyle

Dallas Wholesale CCTV

Also, depending on the driveway and where you can mount your cameras, I'd use at least two. One to show you a wide view of the whole thing (if possible), plus another one with a long lens to try and grab a plate from every vehicle that comes and goes. 9mm isn't going to do the job at 75'. I haven't used cameras from either of the companies you mentioned. A seat of my pants estimate says 12mm would be very iffy and I'd prefer 16mm or better depending on conditions. I use a 5-50mm varifocal on one of my cams for distance identification. Very versatile.

So appreciate all the great input.

I can sure sympathize with other posters who are claiming major headaches. I have spent an entire day researching cameras and literally have one.

From my current assessment it appears I would need something in the range of 25-30mm or a varifocal 5-50mm, which I have seen. The prices however are far more than I want to spend at this time so I think I will compromise and try a 12mm. I think the mistake I was headed for was trying to cover too much area with too few cameras. So thanks for setting me straight on that as well..