Pod Ferret

DVR works with PC monitor via VGA, but not to TV or Laptop

I brought a 8 Channel Network H.264 CCTV DVR Realtime Video Recorder Security System

(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200840550162?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649)

I can get the DVR to work via a VGA cable to a PC computer monitor, however when I try to connect to my TV (LG 42CS460) I can not get a picture, I have also tried a USB cable from the DVR to TV but yet again can not get a picture. I have looked for a setting in both the DVR and TV but without any luck. The Same thing also happens when I try to connect the DVR to a Laptop, No picture using the VGA cable or USB the laptop just does not pick up the DVR. Is there a setting in the DVR? if so what am I looking for?

All help and advise welcome.

The dvr to the laptop will not work as the vga port on the laptop is video out. are u using vga in from the dvr to the tv. have you selected the right input using your tv remote?

USB isn't really a video service bus. USB from the DVR to anything isn't going to give you video. The VGA to TV problem is probably because the tv doesn't support the size and refresh rate that the dvr is putting out. It might have settable display output options in it but you'd have to look for something probably called video or system settings in the DVR somewhere. The laptop VGA port you're hooking up to is most likely VGA out, not VGA _in_ like a TV or monitor is.

Thank you for your replies, Would it work without to much messing with the settings , if I was to use a VGA cable from the DVR to a HDMI to my TV, (Instend of the VGA from the DVR to VGA to TV). Or will this get the same results. If so I guess I will have to chagne the settings as sugguested.

The user manal is very poor and does not explain?

I have found a "Output Adjust Setting Button" would this be were I would have to go to adjust the picture so that it will work on my TV?

currently the settings are as follows, any ideas what I should set them to? if this is the right thing to adjust if not what am I looking for?

Top Deflate 0

Bottom Delate 0

Left Delate 0

Right Delate 0

Black Vertical 50

Black Horizontal 50

Thanks

I'd look for something in settings that would give options like 1024x768, 800x600, 1920x1080 or whatever and then pick a few resolutions until you find something your tv likes. I have no idea whether or not converting to HDMI first will fix anything but my first impression is no. The simple way isn't working so adding a complication isn't likely to make things better UNLESS HDMI on the TV is smart enough to auto match what is coming in. That's possible but I don't have a converter so I've never tried it out.

I have found a setting called "GUI Display" with a sub menu of Resolution which was set at 1024 x 768. I changed the resolution to 800 x 600 plug the lead in to the TV and yet again no clear picture. I have attached a photo of my TV srceen in case it helps? At the moment untill I can sort this problem out I have just one camera running, and as you can see in the photo it appears three times on the TV?

photo.thumb.JPG.e9c2d56c8eb04def9630077f1c1595e2.JPG

Do you see a setting that matches the native resolution of your TV? 1024x768 and 800x600 are 4:3 computer monitor resolutions that the TV may or may not like. 1280x720, 1600x900, 1920x1080, etc are widescreen formats. You might also have to match the refresh rate as well. 50hz and 60hz are refresh rates common for PAL and NTSC TVs respectively. Computer monitors can refresh at much higher rates and might be why the pic is displaying 3 different times. I wouldn't display that triple picture for long. Forcing weird refresh rates can cause problems at times.

Thanks Kawboy12R

I have adjusted the DVR - GUI Display Resolution to 1280 x 720 and 1440 x 900 which are the only other resolution that the DVR has. But yet again no luck, I just get the same picture on the TV like the photo I already posted? I can not find any settings in the DVR that reffers to refresh rates?

Thanks GrouchoBoucho

I will have a go with a new vga cable, How ever when I connect the current vga cable to a PC monitor the picture is fine? could the cable bad, if it works fine with a PC monitor?

What refresh rate and resolution is the pc monitor set to when it is connected? There is usually an on-screen display menu on the monitor somewhere with an option to show the current display resolution and refresh rate. Finding that out will give you a known working starting point.

The refresh rate of the pc monitor is set at 60hz and the resolution is set to 1280 x 1024. I have now set the DVR to 1280 x 1024, however I have been through the whole menu of the DVR and can not find any were that I can check or change the refresh rate to 60hz.

Just changing the resolution did not make any difference?

Any more ideas? Please

Do you have a pc or your laptop with a graphics card that is capable to display at 1280 x 1024 so that you can verify if the TV really can work off of that resolution. Sometimes with TVs features like VGA input just dont play well with certain setups. At least with the PC depending on the graphics card drivers you may be able to try different resolutions and refresh rates to find out what the TV really will support.

Another option is you could purchase a VGA to Component, or VGA to HDMI. These can be cheap to very expensive (get what you pay for) but in the end you will have signal on your TV. Use Scaler when searching for these devices.

Well, if you're using 60 hz out of the DVR already and tried all of the different resolutions then the next cheapest step is Groucho's. I'm out of ideas for adjustments. Might be a cable issue. You could probably just borrow a cable off a computer monitor to try. Not all detach from the monitor but many do. It might work. Then I'd try a VGA to HDMI adapter or VGA to composite. Shame to spend that kind of money on something that should work without heroic measures.

Thanks for your help Kawboy12R,

Still no joy after trying a different VGA cable from the DVR to TV, also tried a VGA to composite again still no joy and the picture still looks like the photo I posted? I going to get a VGA to HDMI in the next few days to try?

I need to find out what the refresh rate of my DVR is? If any one out there knows how to check or change the refresh rate of a model MHK-8108AV DVR, as I have been through the menu and just can not find it. It is not stated in the user manual as to what the refresh rate is or were to find it in the menu?

hi. no point loking a refresh rate ....... it should work direct .....vga from dvr to vga tv (switch both off first) then connect vga and switch on.

were are you located your link for dvr is uk. but your on 60hz ???

Thanks Tomcctv

Just turned the TV and DVR off, connected the VGA cable to both and then turned both on. However just get the same picture as in the photo I posted? The DVR resolution is set to 1280 x 1024.

As soon as I connect a VGA cable from the DVR to a PC monitor testing it out, picture is clear and all works well. Just as soon as it plugged into the TV I just get a picture as in the photo I posted ealier on in this post?

Any other ideas welcomed?

Guess the next question is where are you? 60hz is NTSC and 50 hz is PAL and they don't play well together. I assume that both your monitor and TV are the same? A Chinese DVR could be set to either, even if a PAL one was requested for a PAL region or NTSC for North America. Should say on the back of the box what it was designed for. 50hz input voltage and PAL or 60hz/NTSC somewhere. Hopefully it matches where you are.

You're going to need to change the settings on the TV, not the DVR.

If you don't have a multi-system TV (PAL AND NTSC) then your DVR picture won't come in clearly. Look in the Video Settings or Picture Settings on the TV for these values.

Check the resolution settings on the dvr OSD. I had a problem a couple of weeks ago. The DVR was defaulted at 1920 x 1080 which was causing me to get an "out of range" prompt on a HD Ready tv. Changed it to 1024 x 768 and this resolved it.

Did you ever figure out how to find the "refresh rate" on your DVR and were you able to change it?

I think I have close to the same model type you have.