Sign in to follow this  
bicylindrico

First time CCTV homeowner and clueless

Hello my name is Dean. I have been lurking for some time and picked up a couple of items in hopes of making our home a little safer. We are not wealthy so I started by just picking up a DVR and a dome camera to put out at our gate. The 2 items I selected are a Dahua DH-DVR0804LE-AS and a CNB LDM-20S camera.

When I installed my pillars for my gates some time back I also ran some RG6 quad with hopes of doing something with it in the future. This is a 400 foot run. I decided to try and use this for the security camera and installed BNC connectors on the cable. The camera is 12vDC and I have a couple of 12vDC outputs on my automatic garage door opener to use for powering the camera. I checked them and have 12.05 volts.

I think you know where this is heading. I can't get it to work. The DVR seems to be doing just fine. I installed a 1TB WD Caviar hard drive and everything seems to work fine on my screen. Just no video. I tried running just a one foot coax here in the living room and still no video. I tried hooking into the coax input of my TV and still no luck. I noticed the camera came with an RCA video jack on a pigtail that could be plugged into the board of the camera so I tried it into one of the video inputs on my TV and still no video.

The small setup guide that came with the camera states that the camera has a UTP transmitter already installed and it shows UTP connections for installation. Is this where I am going wrong? There is no power LED or anything for me to know it is powering up. Should I be able to read a voltage from the video output? Is there any way to know that this camera works?

Thanks for any help you can provide

RG6 shuld carry your signals as it's 75 Ohms but you may have difficulty termination RG6 with BNCs, they are likely to be solder on types and the cable is quite a bit thicker than RG59. You wont even get the crimp ferrule on the cable from RG59 BNC crimps, but some form of adaptors may be necessary to result in a 75ohm BNC termination to the cable at both ends. This is not uncommon as RCA fem to BNC plug are very commonly used in the PnP systems we see on the budget market. NOt sure whay you're not getting any video output though too many things could be the mater. Are you sure you havent plugger in the loop out ppoints instead of channel video in? (Not all DVRs have loop out)

Hello!

I read out your problem and suggest you to go and discuss with some professional CCTV Installer as it is difficult to know online what problem you are facing exactly and to give solution without understanding the correct thing as it is not a easy task.